Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.89789°N / 121.01593°W
Additional Information County: Chelan
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Bouldering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5862 ft / 1787 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

"There is a serene and settled majesty to woodland scenery that enters into the soul and delights and elevates it, and fills it with noble inclinations." -- Washington Irving

Irving PeakWestern Side of Irving Peak

Irving Peak is the most southern, and possibly also most overlooked, named summit along Wenatchee Ridge, located on the eastern side of the Cascade Mountains in Washington State. Wenatchee Ridge is nicknamed “Poet Ridge”, as its named peaks are named after famous poets. The other named peaks of the ridge are Whittier Peak, Bryant Peak, Longfellow Mountain, and Poe Mountain.
Irving PassIrving Pass

The route to Irving Peak begins at the trailhead for Irving Pass Trail #1545. Driving directions are described in the "Getting There" section. The trailhead (4200’ elevation) for Irving Pass Trail is located near the end of Forest Road 6504. Irving Pass Trail steeply switchbacks up through a thick evergreen forest along the southwestern side of Wenatchee Ridge for approximately 0.7 miles, ending at Irving Pass (4900’ elevation). To the left (west) of Irving Pass is Little Wenatchee Ridge Trail #1543, leading towards Poe Mountain and the other named peaks of Wenatchee Ridge. To the right (east) of Irving Pass is the beginning of the summit route for Irving Peak.
Irving PeakPink Ribbons Showing Summit Route

There is no official trail leading to the summit of Irving Peak. The basic rule is to continue following the ridgeline. However, as of 2008, pink ribbons have been strategically tied to tree branches at various locations along a route leading to the summit. The summit route is well-defined in some places, non-existent in others. It is possible most of the path is manmade, but more likely it is an old animal path following the ridge.
Irving PeakSteep SW Summit Slope


The summit route begins by heading east through a thick hilly evergreen forest. The route gradually becomes steeper, climbing over and around large boulders and rocky hills. Several sections of the ridgetop have open areas allowing far-reaching views of Wenatchee Ridge, Cockeye Creek drainage, and other nearby regions. Before reaching the final climb to the summit of Irving Peak, the path follows the open, steep southwestern slope of the mountain. The final hill before the summit is a steep, nearly vertical, rocky scramble.* This is NOT for amateurs and should NOT be attempted in wet conditions!!! Do NOT look down the slope!!!
The total distance from Irving Pass to the summit of Irving Peak is approximately 1.3 miles.


*NOTE: An alternative to this final steep scramble is to hike down (from this point) to a rocky gully located on the northern side of the ridgeline (i.e. western side of the mountain), steeply ascend to a saddle connecting Irving Peak to a higher unnamed peak, and then follow the mountaintop south to the summit of Irving Peak. Although perhaps an "easier" summit approach (i.e. less scrambling/ rock climbing), this alternate route currently has no defined trail and could add as much as one mile of hiking to the summit climb, each way.

Getting There

NOTE: This mountain is found on Green Trails Map #144.

Driving Directions to Irving Pass Trailhead (Trail #1545), westbound from Leavenworth:

1) From Leavenworth, follow Highway 2 westbound for 15.3 miles to Highway 207 (approximately MilePost 84.7).
2) Head north (right) on Highway 207.
3) After 11.5 miles, continue straight through a gate. This is the beginning of Forest Road 65 (FR-6500). An “End of County Road” sign is located at the gate.
4) After 7.0 miles, turn right onto an unpaved/ unmarked road. This is the beginning of FR-6504.*
5) Follow FR-6504 for 6.1 miles to the trailhead/ end of the road.
*NOTE: An alternate route to FR-6504 is to continue on FR-6500 for 3.8 miles beyond the first FR-6504 turnoff, to where the pavement ends, and then turn right onto an unpaved/ unmarked road. After 1.3 miles, the road meets FR-6504 at a “T” intersection. Turn left onto FR-6504 and follow 3.1 miles to the trailhead/ end of the road.
------------

Driving Directions to Irving Pass Trailhead (Trail #1545), eastbound from Stevens Pass:

1) From Stevens Pass, follow Highway 2 eastbound for 4.0 miles (approximately MilePost 68.6).
2) Turn left and cross the (divided) highway onto Forest Road 67 (FR-6700).
3) Follow FR-6700 for 12.6 miles to its end, at the intersection with FR-6500.
4) Turn left onto FR-6500.
5) After 2.3 miles, turn right onto an unpaved/ unmarked road. This is the beginning of FR-6504.*
6) Follow FR-6504 for 6.1 miles to the trailhead/ end of the road.
*NOTE: An alternate route to FR-6504 is to continue on FR-6500 for 3.8 miles beyond the first FR-6504 turnoff, to where the pavement ends, and then turn right onto an unpaved/ unmarked road. After 1.3 miles, the road meets FR-6504 at a “T” intersection. Turn left onto FR-6504 and follow 3.1 miles to the trailhead/ end of the road.

Red Tape

A Northwest Forest Pass is required if parking a vehicle at or near one of the forementioned trailheads. A single-day Northwest Forest Pass costs $5, while an annual Northwest Forest Pass costs $30. Northwest Forest Passes can be purchased from ranger stations or REI stores (as well as many other outdoor recreation stores) within Washington State.

Camping

Irving Peak is located within Glacier Peak Wilderness. As such, camping is only allowed in locations specifically marked or provided.

At least one person must occupy a camping area during the first night after camping equipment has been set up, unless permission has otherwise been granted by the Forest Ranger.

Camping equipment cannot be left unattended for more than 24 hours without permission by a Forest Ranger. Remove all personal property and trash when leaving.