Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 33.52236°N / 117.25991°W
Additional Information County: Riverside County
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 2050 ft / 625 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Monument Hill is a relatively small and easily accessed peak located in the Santa Rosa Plateau Ecological Reserve in the Santa Ana Mountains. Aside from the many mesas (which don't reach SP standards as peak from what I know), Monument Hill is the highest point within the Santa Rosa Plateau Ecological Reserve. It is an official USGS peak.

The Santa Rosa Plateau is mostly made up of rolling hills and mesas. These types of mountains are often frowned upon by others for not being "real mountains". However, size or difficulty does not matter; its the view from the top and the experience that counts.

From the top of Monument Hill, one is able to see all of the Santa Rosa Plateau, much of De Luz, Palomar Mountain, San Jacinto Peak, San Gorgonio, Mt. Baldy (Mt. San Antonio), the ocean, and much of the Inland Empire. Also, the hike to the peak vividly presents one with a pristine example of Southern California landscape.

Although small and seemingly insignifigant, Monument Hill packs in as much beauty and views as would a mountain much higher and more prominent then itself.
San JacintoSan Jacinto from Monument Hill

Routes

There are many hiking trails to Monument Peak. The closest trailheads being Hidden Valley Trailhead and the Visitor Center.

via Hidden Valley- Take the Coyote Trail to the Trans-Preserve trail. Follow this till you reach the cut off for Ranch Road. Once you reach Ranch Road, there will be signs and you will see the Monument Hill Trail. Follow this and then you will see a little cutoff trail leading to the top of Monument Hill.

via the Visitor Center- Head down Waterline Road. This runs into the Vista Grande Trail. Eventually, the Vista Grande Trail ends at the Monument Hill Trail. Take a right and then you will see at cutoff leading to the top of Monument Hill.

Both ways are around 5 miles roundtrip.
Monument Hill SignMonument Hill

History an FAQ's

The Santa Rosa Plateau consists of 8, 300 acres consisting of Englemen oak woodlands, riparian wetlands, coastal sage brush, chaparral, bunchgrass prairie and vernal pools. These ecosystems are unique to Southern California.

Below Monument Hill, there are the oldest structures in Riverside County; the "Adobes". The Adobes consist of two adobe house constructed as bunkhouses by cowboys around 1846. Also, a four hundred year old oak tree shades these houses. These are probably the second most popular attraction aside from the Vernal Pools. In the 1980's, the Santa Rosa Plateau became an official sanctioned preserve.

Camping

No camping on the Plateau! Do not plan on it. There isn't really any good camping near by either.

Red Tape

The Santa Rosa Plateau is all about red tape!

- Stay on marked trails (the rangers absolutely hate this)
- all elements of the Reserve are protected
- smoking, fires, and camping is prohibited
- no dogs or pets
- all hunting or shooting is prohibited
- no vehicles allowed on the Reserve
- obey all trail signs
- do not introduce any animals to the Reserve

Open from sunrise to sundown everyday.

Day use fees are $2 for adults and $1 for children between 2-12.

External Links

Santa Rosa Plateau Ecological Reserve
39400 Clinton Keith Road
Murrieta, Ca 92562
(951)-677-6951
Santa Rosa Plateau Ecological Reserve

Misc

If you have any other info/pictures feel free to add them or contact me about them.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Santa Ana MountainsMountains & Rocks
 
Santa Rosa PlateauMountains & Rocks