Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.95851°N / 122.88071°W
Additional Information County: Trinity
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 8121 ft / 2475 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Surrounded by iconic Trinity Alps such as Siligo Peak, Gibson Peak, and TriForest Peak, Seven Up is a quality walk up offering easy access and great views of Bear Basin, Granite Creek, and the Four Lakes Loop area of the Trinity Alps Wilderness. Seven Up offers a nice detour on the wonderful Granite Creek/Bear Basin Loop hike, or as another peak to bag while doing the Four Lakes Loop. Seven Up Peak sits at 8,100 feet at the head of three prominent drainages: Bear Creek, Deer Creek, and Granite Creek. Bear Creek is a beautiful and lesser traveled drainage flowing into Swift Creek. Granite Creek begins on the north slopes of Gibson Peak and flows northeast into Swift Creek and eventually the Trinity River (aka Clair Engle Lake). Seven Up Peak is comprised of a crumbling volcanic rock unlike its granitic neighbors. The peak provides ski touring in the winter and spring (and sometimes summer) and great hiking in the summer and fall.
Seven Up Tree

Getting There

Swift Creek Trailhead

Swift Creek trailhead is reached by following Highway 3 for roughly 30 miles out of Weaverville to FR 36N25 (Swift Creek Rd). Turn left here and travel around 6 miles to the trailhead.

There are two main routes one can take to reach Seven Up Peak from the Swift Creek Trailhead. The first is the very popular Granite Lake Trail. Granite Lake Trail leaves the Swift Creek trail after only a mile and crosses Swift Creek on a lovely bridge, and heads up Granite Creek through regrowth and lush meadows to Granite Lake. Granite Lake is a beautiful lake surrounded by the granite of Gibson Peak. From here one can continue up to Seven Up Pass and to the summit of Seven Up Peak.

The second route from Swift Creek TH is to follow Swift Creek Trail from the parking area for around 3 miles to the signed turn off for Bear Creek. The Bear Creek trail crosses Swift Creek on a bridge and follows Bear Creek up through a series of wide meadows to Bear Basin and eventually the pass between Bear Basin and Black Basin. From the pass follow the trail west and south around the western slopes of Seven Up Peak. The trail eventually reaches Seven Up Pass between Gibson and Seven Up Peaks and overlooking Granite Creek and the Four Lakes Basin.

A great 15 mile loop hike can be done by combining the summit and the above routes beginning and ending at Swift Creek TH.

Red Tape

Seven Up Peak is located in the Trinity Alps Wilderness. Normal wilderness rules and ethics apply. A campfire permit is required by the forest service, however campfires are often prohibited in the area as wildfires are common in late summer.

Shasta-Trinity National Forest

3644 Avtech Parkway
Redding, CA 96002
(530)226-2500

Weaverville Ranger Station

P.O. Box 1190
360 Main Street
Weaverville, CA 96093
(530) 623-2121

Camping

There are countless primitive car camping sites within the Shasta Trinity National Forest. Several developed sites exist around Trinity (Clair Engle) Lake. Granite Lake is a popular place to camp and despite having a small selection of good campsites, gets very popular on summer weekends and holidays. Better campsites exist away from the lake and off the main trail. Just look around and remember to Leave No Trace.

External Links

Add External Links text here.