Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 32.97054°N / 116.95539°W
Additional Information County: San Diego
Activities Activities: Hiking, Bouldering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2696 ft / 822 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Iron Mountain is the second highest peak in Poway and the Iron Mountain Trail is the longest wilderness trail in the city. From the peak there are long views in all directions. On clear days you can see San Clemente and Catalina Islands. Mt. Woodson and it's antennas can be seen to the north from the summit.

The hike is about 3.2 miles from the parking area on the side of CA-67 to the Iron Mountain Summit. The hike starts at 1615 feet and the peak is 2696 for a climb of over 1000 feet.

Like most inland areas in southern California the area is dry, dusty and hot except in the winter. Bring plenty of water for the hike. There is no water available at the trail head or on the trail itself.

 

Getting There

From the South(San Diego):
1. Take I-8 to CA-67 exit in El Cajon/Lakeside area.
2. Head North on CA-67 for 14 miles
3. Trail head is about 100 meters south of the intersection of CA-67 and Poway Road.

From North(LA):
1. South I-5 to CA-78
2. East on CA-78 to I-15 (16 miles)
3. South I-15 to Poway Road(Exit 18) (13 miles)
4. East on Poway Road for 5 miles.
5. Turn Right on CA-67.
6. Trail head on left side of road 100 meters after getting on CA-67.

 

Red Tape

The Iron Mountain Trail is basically a show up and walk event. The trail does wind through private property so no bushwacking unless you are sneaky. Know that the trail is mixed use so you will be sharing the path with mountain bikes, horses and dogs.

 

Camping

Lake Poway Camping

 

Weather

Poway, CA Weather Report