Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.86940°N / 106.41272°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10170 ft / 3100 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Cerro Grande is one of the 10,000+ foot mountains enclosing the Valles Caldera Caldera that sits in the middle of the Jemez Mountains. A small remnant of an decapitated, extinct supervolcano that exploded over a million years ago, the peak provides a wonderful view of what once was. Redondo Peak and the surrounding valleys teeming with elk dominate the scenery to the west while the Rio Grande Valley from the Sangre de Cristos to the San Mateo Mountains open to the east and south.

The hike to the summit of this Cerro Grande is fairly short at roughly 2 miles from the parking lot, which makes the effort for the views well worth it.
The Caldera


[I'm having trouble finding the exact elevation of the peak. The marker on the summit claimed 10,100, but was written in marker so I don't know if it is reliable.]

Getting There

From Los Alamos, take NM-502 to the south side of town and merge onto NM-501 beyond the Las Alamos National Labs checkpoint. Drive south several miles and go west on NM-4 towards Jemez Springs and Valles Grande. About four miles in, you'll begin to see the signs for the Cerro Grande parking lot and trail. The parking lot should be on your right side of the road.

Red Tape

The peak rests on the border between the Santa Fe National Forest and the Valles Grande National Preserve. However, the trail runs through National Forest and has several restrictions. There are no guns, pets, bikes, or motor vehicles allowed on the trail during anytime of year.
From Near the Summit

Camping

This peak shouldn't take more than five hours total, but if spending the night is an option you'd like to pursue, there are several campsites and hotels in the area. There are campsites in Bandelier National Monument near the visitor center (505-672-3861 ext. 517) and also by the Pajarito Ski Area. The campground in the vicinity of the ski area requires a permit acquired from the Larry Walkup Aquatic Center on Canyon Road in Los Alamos (505-662-8170) and closes close to November 1 annually for the winter.
Lit Tree

External Links

Bandelier National Monument

Pajarito Ski Area

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
davebobk47

davebobk47 - Dec 16, 2008 6:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Elevation

The elevation is 10,170. Thanks for adding this page.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.