Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.00560°N / 122.9644°W
Additional Information County: Lane
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1561 ft / 476 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mt pisgah/West ampitheatre
Rare snow on Mount Pisgah


Mt Pisgah is a very popular destination in the southern Willamette valley. Located east of Eugene, Oregon at the confluence of the Middle fork and Coast fork of the Willamette river. This mountain has a very good trail system that rise from the valley floor to the summit and has multiple well graded trail that lead to its special summit. 

The summit area
The summit area


The mountain rises 1,100 ft above the river valley floor to an elevation of 1,561 ft. It also has 920 feet of prominence.  It is a singular mountain surrounded by the valley on all sides giving it a deceptively airy loft above the surrounding topography. It offers up great views of the middle fork of the Willamette valley as it winds its way up into the cascade foothills. It also takes in view a large chunk of the Eugene and Springfield metro area. On clear days it offers up an unobstructed view of Diamond peak at 8,751 ft is the highest peak in the upper Willamette watershed.

Diamond peak/ from Pisgah summit
Diamond Peak from Pisgah summit

The mountain is encompassed by Howard Buford recreation area. a 2363 acre Lane County park. There are three Trail heads 1) Main T.H (West side) A moderately steep 1.4 mile trail leads to the summit 2) North T.H. and 3) east side T.H. are longer approaches offering trail variations as well as Trails friendly to horseback riding. At the summit is a bronze memorial to Jed Kesey the son of famous Oregon author Ken Kesey. It is also the home to the Mount Pisgah Arboretum. The arboretum is 209 acres offering up seven miles of riverside as well as hillside trail loops. It protects Douglas fir Incense cedar and white oak and 339 species of native plants. It holds festivals and events most weekends.

Looking south from Pisgah
Looking south from Pisgah

Map of the Park

Mount Pisgah Park Map
Mount Pisgah Park Map


Getting There

The mountain lies only a couple of miles east of interstate 5 giving easy access to the park. Coming in from the north on I-5 take exit 189 L.C.C 3oth avenue which connects up with McVay road. Take a right and going south until you reach traffic signal for thirtieth avenue. Take a left crossing over I-5 coming to a four way stop. take a left again travel north for a quarter mile take a left on Franklin Boulevard. Follow this south for about a half mile until you come to intersection with Seavey loop road take a left and travel due east two miles east to the entrance to the park.

Coming in from the south on I-5 take exit 189 30th avenue exit to a four way stop continue north for quater mile take right on Franklin Boulevard travel south for a half mile until intersection with Seavy loop road. Travel due east for two miles until you enter the park.

Red Tape

There is $4 parking fee for using this park payable upon entrance to the park. The machine does take credit cards as well so you don't need to bring cash from the machine.  It is possible to get a season pass thru the Lane County parks or thru Mt Pisgah Arboretum

Camping

There is no Camping in the park. The closest camping opportunities are about twenty miles east on State Highway 58 in the cascade foothills above Fall creek and Lookout Point lakes. There is plenty of lodging available along I-5 corridor and within both Eugene and Springfield.

External Links





 


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.