Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.56860°N / 106.1095°W
Additional Information County: Summit
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 10502 ft / 3201 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

While not the largest or most prominent mountain in the Tenmile Range Mount Royal is still an impressive mountain. It sits at the far north end of the Tenmile Range and towers above I-70 on the west side of Frisco, CO. Rising over 1,000 feet above the interstate it is an impressive view seen by anyone passing through the area.

History 
Masontown
Masontown Ruins

The town of Frisco sits at the base of Mount Royal but there used to be another town on the slopes of this steep mountain. Masontown was founded in 1866 by General Buford who built a mill at an old mine site located on Mount Royal's eastern slope. In 1872 the site was enlarged by the owners and eventually encompassed a boardinghouse, a dozen cabins, and many mining and milling facilities. The population gew to a few hundred people and in 1882 the railroad completed a track near the town. This was vital to the company since it allowed them to ship their gold and silver to the Denver Mint. Although the town saw great prosperity in it's early days it eventually died out. In 1912 an avalanche wiped out the mill built by General Buford. Another avalanche in the spring of 1926 destroyed nearly all of the town. The few remaining structures of the town were finally destroyed by a fire in 1968 although all residents were long gone by then.

 
Mount Royal Summit
Mount Royal Summit

Colorado Rank: Unranked
Prominence: 82'
Quadrangle: Frisco

Rank and Prominence information from
Lists of John

Getting There

Take exit #201 off of I-70 into Frisco. From the exit ramp turn right onto Main St. Continue down Main Street to the first stop sign. This is Madison Ave. Just past Madison Ave there is a large parking lot on the left. You will have to cross Main St to get to the bike path and the Mount Royal trailhead.

Route Overview

 
Mount Royal Topo
Mount Royal Routes

Mount Royal is most often climbed via the standard trail from Frisco. However, this could also be the finish (or start) if you are doing the Tenmile Traverse. There are also a number of trad climbing routes on the face in addition to one sport route. 

Mount Royal/Masontown Trail: This trail starts in the town of Frisco and follows the paved bike path to a well marked turn-off. The climb is gradual and easy for the first third where you can see the ruins of Masontown. From this point the climb gets increasingly steep. The steep climb is relentless but eventually you will reach a fork. From here it is an easy climb to the saddle then summit.

Royal Flush: This popular sport climb on the face of Mt Royal is typically done in 6-8 pitches.  The crux is a 5.9 pitch at the end of the climb.  Lower down is easier slab climbing in the 5.4-5.6 range.  If you plan to climb this route get there early as it is popular and a bad place to get stuck in case of weather. 






Views from the summit: 
Tenmile Range
Looking South
 
Summit County
Looking West

Looking Down
Looking Down

Frisco, CO
Looking North

Camping

There are no designated sites in this area. Wilderness camping is possible, however, being a short hike camping is not necessary.

External Links

Local Weather: Frisco, CO
Local Search and Rescue Team: Summit County SAR

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
fossana

fossana - Sep 6, 2013 2:45 pm - Hasn't voted

mt royal climbs

There are a number of established trad and sport routes on Mt Royal: http://www.mountainproject.com/v/mount-royal-near-frisco/106811705

davebobk47

davebobk47 - Sep 6, 2013 2:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: mt royal climbs

You're right. I've been on Royal Flush so I'll mention that and some of the other lines on the page. Thanks, Dave

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Tenmile RangeMountains & Rocks