Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.36850°N / 105.64502°W
Additional Information County: Larimer
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10491 ft / 3198 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Beaver MountainBeaver Mountain as seen from US 36 near the base of Deer Mountain.

Beaver Mountain is a relatively small peak for Rocky Mountain National Park standards. However, the standard approach from Upper Beaver Meadows Trailhead requires over 2200 feet of gain, much of which is off-trail.

The peak rises from the western end of Beaver Meadows, the name which has also been applied to the park entrance and visitor center on US 36 on the east side of the park. Beaver Brook, which meanders through Beaver Meadows, originates on the north side of Beaver Mountain.

Beaver Mountain is easily seen from US 36 and US 34. Millions of people see it every year as they drive through the park, but relatively few take the time to reach the summit.

Beaver Mountain is ranked 111 out of 126 on Mountain Jim's Summits of Rocky Mountain National Park List. It is unranked on Gerry Roach's Rocky Mountain National Park Summits List because the prominence above the saddle connecting it with Tombstone Ridge is not at least 300 feet (it is 231 feet).

The summit is forested, but views of Longs Peak and the peaks of the Continental Divide and Mummy Range can still be had from between the trees.

Getting There

The easiest approach to Beaver Mountain involves starting at the Upper Beaver Meadows Trailhead.

Red Tape

Beaver Mountain is within Rocky Mountain National Park. Daily as well as annual passes are available.

Camping

Several campgrounds are available in the Park, some of which allow reservations. Backcountry camping is allowed in the Park in pre-defined backcountry campsites. Reservations are recommended, as some backcountry sites become reserved for the entire summer by March.

Seasons

Beaver Mtn can be ascended in all seasons.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.