Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.33310°N / 120.896°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 4385 ft / 1337 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview



Tarzan Butte


Looking for a shorter winter summit destination. Well Tarzan Butte maybe the answer. With over 500 feet of prominence from nearby Teanaway Butte, Tarzan Butte is a even less crowded and less know than it larger neighbor Teanaway Butte. Often this peak is combined with a trip up Teanaway Butte as an added summit to log. But this peak is worthy destination in it's own right.

Just looking at this forested pyramid peak often causes desire for summit bagger to want to get to the top. Unfortunately the views on the summit are almost completely covered on top. There are some views on both sides of the mountain though. Part of the fun with this peak is getting there from either 29 Pines camp area or Teanaway Butte. Getting to the summit requires a steep winter bushwack from any side of the mountain. From 29 Pines take an jeep road up to the base of the pyramid and then head straight up the mountain. From Teanaway Butte bushwack east keeping a visual eye on Tarzan Butte. I found an ice axe useful when I summited this peak in winter due the steep wooded slopes of the mountain.

Limited views


I would strongly recommend this hike as a winter hike. In summer there are so many other peaks in the Teanaway with better views and that are more dramatic. However in winter many of these are not easily accessible which makes smaller peaks like Tarzan Butte much more desirable. The best way to this peak is to take the loop which combines both Teanaway and Tarzan Butte . Though this route requires a far amount of off trail. It is actually fairly easy to follow in winter due to the dryer eastern forest.

Tarzan Butte


Getting There

From via Route 970: Located between the town of Teanaway and Route 97 take Teanaway road north roughly ten miles to just past the 29 Pines camping area on your left. Once just past the 29 Pines camping area merge a left onto National Forest road 9701 and take it up (it will run along side of Jungle Creek) rougly three miles all the way to the end where you will see a trail sign. The boot path to Teanaway Butte will be on your left.

From via Route 970 in winter: Located between the town of Teanaway and Route 97 take Teanaway road north roughly ten miles to just past the 29 Pines camping area on your left. There will a turnaround where you will have to park on the left side road along with the snowmobilers

Red Tape

A Northwest Forest Pass is required at the Jungle Creek Trailhead in summer when the road opens up

Camping

Camping is permitted just not in the parking area. If you want a more organized camping area check out 29 Pines before the forest roads.

External Links

Nwhikers.net gives you good trip reports on many peaks in the Teanaway Region.

Weather Conditions

Here are what the weather conditions would be from nearby Cle Elum.



alt="Click for Cle Elum, Washington Forecast" height=60 width=468>


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.