Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.54292°N / 9.81019°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 10650 ft / 3246 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Piz BlaisunPiz Ot seen from Piz Blaisun (21-08-2006)


Piz Ot (3246 m / 10.650 ft) is a summit in the southern parts of the Albula mountains. It is located between the Engadin valley in the south and the Val Bever east and north of the summit. South of the summit are Piz Padella, Piz Corviglia, Piz Nair and Las Trais Fluors (the three blossoms), where the skiing region of Sankt Moritz, Celerina and Samedan is located.

There are three main hiking trails leading to the summit; they unite near Fuorcla Valletta. One main trail leads up the southeast slope to the summit. Another route uses the south ridge, it involves some UIAA grade II climbing.

Piz Ot is an easy accessible summit of the Albula group. It offers breathtaking views on the glaciers and peaks of the nearby Bernina group. It can be done as a days hike (about 1.500 m of altitude difference), starting from the surrounding valleys. The ascent can be “eased” by using the cableway from Celerina.


Getting There

Piz OtEngadin valley from Ot ascent (23-08-2006)

There are three main trailheads: Samedan, Celerina in the Engadin valley and Alp Spinas / Val Bever

By car


Samedan and Celerina


You reach both villages, located in the upper Engadin valley by using

1. road number 180 from Landeck / Inntal valley (use highway A 12, exit Landeck, toll road) to the austrian / swiss border, then road 27 through the beautiful Engadin until you reach Samedan or Celerina.

2.) road SS 36 and SS 37 from Italy / Como lake to Chiavenna and up the Maloia pass to Sankt Moritz, Celerina and Samedan.

3.) SS 38 and / or SS 39 from Italy / Valtellino to Poschiavo and up the Bernina pass (swiss road number 29) directly to Samedan / Celerina

4.) highway number A 13 / Switzerland to exit Chur and road number 3 to Albula pass and into Engadin valley.

In Samedan use the northwestern parts of the village, situated on the south slopes of the valley, to park and to start your hike. You should park near the church of St. Peter on the south slopes above the village.

If you want to start at Celerina follow the signposts to the valley station of the Marguns cableway. Park your car there (fee required) and start your hike or use the cableway up to Marguns.

Val Bever / Alp Spinas


From Bever, a village some kilometers northeast of Samedan, go into Val Bever up to Alp Spinas.

By train


If you take the train, you ride in from Chur, Rhine valley. There are train stations at Alp Spinas, Samedan and Celerina

By airplane


If you are among the famous and rich, there is an airport at Samedan for your private jet :-) .

Trail Overview

Piz OtPiz Ot summit rock (23-08-2006)


Samedan


Go to the good visible church of Sankt Peter above the village. At the church a trail starts zigzaging up the meadows and light woods above Samedan. You reach Alp Muntatsch and an unnamed saddle, point 2411 m of the swiss topo map. Great views to the Bernina group.

The trail now enters Valletta, a little mountain valley high above Engadin. The trail leads up in the direction of Fuorcla Valletta. Piz Ot summit stands high in front of you. The views to the south are barred by Las Trais Fluors, some wild rock spires and by Piz Padella.
At Funtauna Fraida and its little creek there is a now no longer maintained shortcut to the trail, leading from Fuorcla Valletta to the summit. If you don´t want to use the now unmarked shortcut (the old markings are covered with a grey painting to no longer have them visible) follow the trail until you reach the trail Fuorcla Valletta - Piz Ot.

At Fuorcla Valletta you can start your climb on the south ridge to the summit. Maybe someone likes to ad this route.

The trail leads up the southeast slope of Piz Ot through scree, talus and over some rock ledges. Facing the huge summit block you have to overcome a steep scree field. The very good marked trail now leads into the summit rocks and to the northeast ridge. The route follows this ridge, traverses the southeast side and arrives at the south ridge. These are the last steps to the roomy summit with its marvellous views.
Piz OtBernina range

The rock climbing is not very difficult (UIAA grade I and easier) but in parts quite exposed.

Celerina


As you cross the Sankt Moritz skiing resort this route is in my opinion not as satisfying as the one from Samedan.
From Celerina / cableway valley station follow the forest road up to Marguns (2279 m) amidst the ski region of Sankt Moritz. You can use the cableway to Marguns, too, to shorten your altitude difference (about 1.500 m from Celerina to the top).
From Marguns follow the road along the Schlattain creek and up the south slopes of Pascul Sass Nair. The road ends at another valley station of a skiing cableway. A trail is now leading up the south slopes of Sass Nair and Piz Saluver to Fuorcla Valletta.

From Fuorcla Valletta proceed as described above.
Piz OtPiz Bernina and Roseg cloreup (23-08-2006)


Alp Spinas


South of Alp Spinas there is a steep valley, called Valletta da Bever. Use the trail leading up this little valley, it hits the Samedan trail at the saddle 2411 m. Continue as described above.



Mountain Conditions, Maps

Piz OtPiz d´Err from Ot summit (23-08-2006)


Mountain Condition


In my opinion Piz Ot is mainly a summer and autumn hike (end of june through october / november, due to weather conditions). I don´t think it is a ski hike summit. The Valletta slopes can be done as a ski tour, though.

The summit rock is an easy climb but in parts exposed. When there is ice and snow it will quickly get much more difficult.

In the Engadin valley there is, due to its geographical situation, more sunshine than in other parts of the Alps. There is less precipitation and the weather normaly gets later bad and earlier good again. Tis can be a huge advantage.

For the weather forecast see this link.
For avalange bulletin click here.

Maps


It should only be the swiss topo maps.
A good one is:

Oberengadin / Endiadin´Ota
Zusammensetzung 1 : 50.000
Landeskarte der Schweiz
Bundesamt für Landestopografie, Wabern

If you want the better 1 : 25.000 scale you should purchase the following map number:
1257, Sankt Moritz;
1237, Albulapass

Accomodations

Piz OtBernina summit view (23-08-2006)


You will find all types of accomodations in the villages of Upper Engadin valley though mostly pricier than elsewhere ....

A good overview is:
Central Engadin valley Tourist Information Site




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Albula AlpsMountains & Rocks