Cedar (Echo) Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.44000°N / 122.1009°W
Additional Information County: King
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 896 ft / 273 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Rainier from the summit
Mount Rainier from the summit


Though it took me six months to delibarate rather to post this little peak or not, I have been checking SummitPost around and I have finally decided that it was the proper time to give this peak a write up. Though small, Cedar Mountain, also known as Echo Mountain (which is on the King County park map) is quite an interesting cinder cone remnant located just east of Renton, Washington. It is the noticeable bump when viewed from either from either the downtown Seattle skyscraper or some of the neighboring Issaquah Alps. It features two peaks, the west peak being the true summit and a decent network of trails that travel around the two peaks. 

BearQueen with the umbrella
BearQueen with the umbrella


This summit is made for those rehabbing, or people trying to get themselves conditioned for larger mountains. It is a good peak to take a newbie on, especially if there is a timeline. The woods here make for a pleasant walk even on warmer days. The added bonus here is that there are not too many people who know about Cedar (Echo) Mountain so chance are you will not be sharing the mountain with many people. In bad weather this peak can make for a good bailout or if you are in a rush this is good way to spend an hour in the woods.

View to the West
 Trees view

Map of the Routes

Map of the Route
Map of the Route

The Route Up Cedar (Echo) Mountain

The well marked trail to the top
The well marked trail to the top. This trail you will hit midway. 


From the trail off of the Spring Lake Road trailhead as soon as you go from the trailhead you want to take the trail to the right. This trail will after 0.2 miles will lead to a dirt road. On that dirt make a right and stay on the dirt road for roughly 0.3 miles until you specifically hit a trail to your right well marked and specifically stating "Peak Trail" As of 2014 this trailhead sign is relatively new. From there stay on the trail until you hit the obvious viewpoint. On a clear day you will be able to see the beautiful Mount Rainier. Come back down the way you came. 


Walking through the yellows
Fall is a great time on this hike
Looking toward Cougar Mountain
Fall view through the trees.


It should be noted that much of the brush that was on this summit has since been cleared. Also in the past four years King County has also put in a sign at the trailhead and trail maps. If you get a map and you have the time you might want to also check out Lake Desire which is the lake to the west of Cedar (Echo) Mountain. 

The Extreme Scramble
Though the summit is easy, you can always make it look maybe slightly more interesting!!

Getting There

The Trailhead
The Trailhead

From Maple Valley Highway south of 405:
Take Maple Valley Highway down to 196th Avenue Southeast and turn right if you are heading the the north or left if from the south. Go one mile to Southeast 183rd. Take one right and then another quick right onto Spring Lake Drive. Take Spring Lake Drive about one mile to the gate where there will be some parking slots to your right.Avoid parking at the boat launch area. A Vehicle Access Permit is required there.

Red Tape

None on the small parking area. Park closes at dusk. Please don't block the driveway of the nearby neighbor. Just don't park at the boat launch.

Camping

Camping is prohibited!! There is a private residence that live very close to the summit of Cedar (Echo) Mountain

External Links

Here is a good article on this summit

Click for Renton, Washington Forecast


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.