Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.51080°N / 105.6653°W
Additional Information County: Park
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11244 ft / 3427 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Logan from Spearhead MountainMount Logan from Spearhead Mountain
21 Mar 2009





Spearhead Mountain is a delightful, ranked 11er quite close to the Denver metro area. While the summit is well timbered, the summit area is studded with rocky outcrops around the mountain, providing high-country views in most directions. Contained within the Mount Evans Wilderness, the summit of Spearhead Mountain provides views of higher peaks both near and far. The standard (Threemile Creek) route to the summit of Spearhead involves mostly on-trail travel with a short off-trail climb, making this mountain a worthy goal for beginner to intermediate bushwackers.

Colorado Rank: 1663rd highest mountain in Colorado
Mountain Range: Front Range
USGS Quad: Mount Evans
Trails Illustrated Map: #104 (Idaho Springs / Georgetown / Loveland Pass)
Rank and Prominence Reference: Lists of John

Getting There

Spearhead Mountain Area MapSpearhead Mountain Area Map


Spearhead Mountain is located in northeastern Park County, about four miles as the raven flies due north of the town of Grant on Hwy 285. The most logical and direct access to Spearhead Mountain is via Guanalla Pass Road, which runs twenty-two miles between Georgetown (Clear Creek Valley) to the north and Grant (Geneva Creek Valley) to the south. This road further links Interstate 70 to the north and U.S. Highway 285 to the south. Traveling Guanella Pass road from end-to-end requires about one hour of driving time and the route, while only partially paved, is suitable for passenger cars (no 4x4 required).

Red Tape

A shrouded Square Top from Spearhead MountainSquare Top Mountain
Toward the Continental Divide from Spearhead MountainToward the Continental Divide from Spearhead Mountain
21 Mar 2009
South slopes of Kataka MountainSouth slopes of Kataka Mountain
21 Mar 2009
Outcrop along Threemile CreekThreemile Creek outcrop


Spearhead Mountain is located in the Mount Evans Wilderness. Wilderness regulations apply, and include, per the Wilderness Act of 1964:

• Only foot traffic is allowed in the wilderness and all dogs must be on a leash.
• Motorized equipment is prohibited, including chain saws, battery powered tools, generators, etc.
• Mechanized transportation is prohibited, including, including bicycles, hang gliders or carts.
• Aircraft, including helicopters, are prohibited from landing, or dropping off/picking up any materials, supplies or persons.
• Please follow LNT (Leave No Trace) principals.

There is no fee for using this area, nor is any pre-registration necessary. Be courteous to land management professionals, and wise with an eye toward your own safety should anything go wrong, and register your party at the self-service kiosk at the wilderness boundary.

Parking for the popular trailheads along Guanella Pass road can be extremely limited. Arrive early or visit during the week to avoid disappointment should no parking be available.

Camping

Summit of Spearhead MountainSummit of Spearhead Mountain
21 Mar 2009
Snowy summit area of Spearhead MountainSnowy summit area of Spearhead Mountain21 Mar 2009
Snowshoeing along the northeast slopeSnowshoeing along the northeast slope
21 Mar 2009
Spearhead Mountain Summit RegisterSummit Register

Backcountry Camping
The upper Threemile Creek area would make for lovely backcountry camping, though be forewarned that proximity of this area to Denver, in general, and to Guanella Pass, in particular, could mean you will “enjoy” plenty of company. There is at least one established backcountry site in this area, a pleasant flat area, free of willows, near where the northern and southern upper drainages come together to form Threemile Creek.

Established National Forest Frontcountry Sites
The National Forest Service operates numerous car camping sites in the area. Those most convenient to the Threemile Trailhead are as follows:

Whiteside Campground
One-half mile south of the Threemile Trailhead on Guanella Pass Road, along Geneva Creek.
• 5 campsites, tents only
• Elevation: 8900 feet
• Open year round
• Facilities include tables, vault toilets and fire rings (NO water).
Burning Bear Campground
Less than three miles north of the Threemile Trailhead on Guanella Pass Road, near the trailhead for Abyss Trail.
• 14 campsites
• Elevation: 9500 feet
• Open year round
• Facilities include tables, vault toilets and fire rings.
Geneva Park Campground
Roughly four miles north of the Threemile Trailhead via Guanella Pass Road, about one-half mile up Geneva Creek Road (FS 119).
• 26 campsites
• Elevation: 9800 feet
• Camping season: May into September
• Facilities include tables, vault toilets and fire rings (NO water).

Weather & Seasons




Find more about Weather in Grant, CO
Click for weather forecast
Thanks in part to private property holdings along the lower, southern reaches of Guanella Pass road that require winter access, Spearhead Mountain is accessible year round.

Summer: The crowds from nearby Denver may border on unbearable for the hiker accustomed to solitude. While the summit of Spearhead Mountain may see very few visitors, the feeder trails will be full of day-tripping visitors and weekend campers.
Winter: The steep slopes along the approach to Spearhead Mountain could be dangerous in moderate, high or extreme avalanche danger. Use caution and exercise sound judgment when traveling in this area in snow season.
Find more about Weather in Grant, CO
Click for weather forecast

External Links

Guanella Pass Road information from Byways.org

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.