Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.42785°N / 120.98728°W
Additional Information County: Kittitas
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 6260 ft / 1908 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Esmeralda Peaks in foregroundEsmeralda Peaks
Hawkins from DeRoux-Koppen RidgeHawkins Mountain
DeRoux Peak is the unofficial name for point 6260 on the ridge NW of Koppen Mountain. It is little more than the high point on a ridge, and in summer is an off-trail ridge hike. In more interesting spring conditions, DeRoux is a fun snow and ridge scramble with great views. DeRoux Peak occupies an interesting perspective, with unparalleled views of Hawkins Mountain and Esmeralda Peaks to the north, and with good views towards Mt. Stuart and the Enchantments to the northeast. To the southeast is Koppen Mountain, which is connected to DeRoux by an easy (Class 1) ridge. Accordingly, these two peaks can be combined in a fun, laid-back day trip when your mood is for light and easy rather than challenging and death-defying.

Getting There

Hiking the Ridge to DeRouxDeRoux Ridge
Crossing DeRoux CreekDeRoux Creek
Drive I-90 East from Seattle to Exit 85, turning right onto SR-970. Go 5 miles, turning left onto the Teanaway River Road. Follow "North Fork Teanaway" signs 13.5 miles to a major junction at 29 Pines Campground. Take the right fork, going 10 more miles to park at the DeRoux Campground (Elevation 3700 feet). The road will typically not melt out this far up until mid-to-late May.

Follow DeRoux Creek Trail #1392 to the cutoff trail in 1.6 miles. Take this trail to the 5000 foot saddle. Leave the trail and follow faint tread leading northwest. This route goes past several old campsites as it contours high above the upper Middle Fork Teanaway Valley. Continue to follow the ridge or drop below on the south side until beneath the summit.
Round trip: 10 miles
Elevation gain: 2500 feet
Difficulty: Class 1

Red Tape

Looking down to the SaddleKoppen
Hawkins from the summit of DeRouxHawkins Mountain
A Northwest Trailhead Pass is required to park at the DeRoux Campground. The fee is $30/year. As the trip lies in unprotected territory (bordering the Alpine Lakes Wilderness), no other passes are required.

Camping

There is good camping at first-come, first-served established campsites such as 29 Pines. There are several other established first-come, first-served campsites along the North Fork Teanaway River, such as at Beverly Creek and the DeRoux campsite itself. Once on the trail, the best camping would be on the other side of the saddle in the Middle Fork Teanaway River Valley.

External Links

The Author on the summitSummit Photo
DeRoux Peak RouteTOPO! Software Image
The closest year-round Forest Service ranger station is in Cle Elum, about 30 miles from Snoqualmie Pass. Contact information:

Cle Elum Ranger District
West 2nd Street
Cle Elum, WA 98922
(509) 674-4411

Snow conditions are available from the Summit at Snoqualmie Ski Areas (of which Alpental is one) at the following website:

Summit at Snoqualmie Snow Conditions

Also, webcams are available from the Washington State Department of Transportation at:

Snoqualmie Pass Web Cam


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.