Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.85005°N / 122.19217°W
Additional Information County: Alameda
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1763 ft / 537 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Round Top View SE from W R
View Southeast. If you know bay area geography, you should be able to spot around a dozen named peaks.


 

View NW
View of the various volcanos Northwest of Round Top

Round Top is a ancient volcanic peak set in the hills above Oakland, CA. It is the centerpiece of Sibley Volcanic Regional Preserve, managed by the East Bay Regional Parks District. Also in the park are other small volcanos, with 2 quarry pits from former mining operations exposing the inner layers of the volcano.

The true summit is unclear, as an apparently manmade pile of rocks may be the current highest point on the broad summit plateau. However, this is one of those peaks where standing on the true summit shouldn't be much of a priority. While much of the summit is closed due to private antenna operations, and tall trees block most views, better views can be had if you walk around the outside of the fences on the Northeast side of the summit.

The rest of the park has much to offer, especially the Volcanic-Quarry Trail loop. Images are from March and April, most of the year this park will be much drier.

Getting There

With advances in internet technology, rather than write out various complicated directions, here is the link via Google

Once at the entrance, follow the fire road north. Here is a map of the park.

Red Tape

Nothing out of the ordinary for a Regional Park

Camping

None allowed

External Links

Official Sibley Website
Google Maps from Oakland Airport
Official Sibley Map

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
iditarod81

iditarod81 - May 17, 2009 7:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Correct Driving Directions to Trailhead

Listed directions are to the much larger Round Top in the Sierra foothills. The correct directions are listed on the Sibley Volcanic Regional Preserve site (http://www.ebparks.org/parks/sibley#reach) and reproduced below: From Highway 24 take the Fish Ranch Road immediately east of the Caldecott Tunnel. Continue 0.8 miles to Grizzly Peak Boulevard. Turn left and go 2.4 miles on Grizzly Peak to Skyline Boulevard. Turn left and drive .1 mile to the preserve entrance on the left. The closest bus line, AC Transit #305, runs only on Tuesdays and Thursdays, from mid-morning to mid-afternoon. From Lake Merritt BART, 19th Street BART, or Rockridge BART take AC Transit bus 59 or 59A; these bus lines go to the Montclair Transit Center. From there, transfer to AC Transit bus 305 and exit at the stop on Colton Boulevard and Ridgewood Drive. Walk the short distance from Colton to Skyline Boulevard, turn left and proceed to the preserve. It is a mostly level, 0.9-mile walk that passes the Huckleberry Preserve staging area. Please call AC Transit 511 (TDD/TTY: 1-800-448-9790) or visit www.transit.511.org to confirm transit information.

SFMountaineer

SFMountaineer - May 30, 2009 11:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Correct Driving Directions to Trailhead

Hi iditarod81....I'm not sure what "listed directions" you are talking about, but thanks for the more detailed directions. :) The Google maps link I have on the site is the same as hte directions you describe above.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2