UN 9660 "Notch Mountain"

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.93010°N / 104.9568°W
Additional Information County: El Paso
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 9660 ft / 2944 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Ponderosa Pine & KinnikinnickPonderosa Pine & Kinnikinnick
04 Apr 2009


“Notch Mountain” is a nice little gem of a ranked 9er very near to Colorado Springs. Though its lower slopes are cloaked in mature Ponderosa pine trees and thick blankets of ground-hugging Kinnikinnick, the very top of “Notch Mountain” is rugged and rocky. This blocky summit, defined by the mountain’s namesake notch, provides an enjoyable finish to an all-too-short ascent.

Close to Colorado Springs and Woodland Park and accessible via a very short bushwack from scenic, twisting Rampart Range Road, the trip to the summit of “Notch Mountain” is a great half-day outing. Weather permitting, the “Notch Mountain” summit would be a delightful place to enjoy a picnic lunch with family and friends while taking in the views.

Colorado Rank: 2510th highest mountain in Colorado
Prominence: 440 feet
Mountain Range: Front Range
USGS Quad: Cascade
Trails Illustrated Map: #137 (Pikes Peak, Cañon City)

Rank and Prominence Reference: Lists of John

Getting There

Rampart Range Road driving conditionsRampart Range Road is narrow and wash-boarded with heavy traffic
04 Apr 2009
Rampart Range Road driving conditionsRampart Range Road driving conditions
04 Apr 2009


“Notch Mountain” rises to the immediate east of Rampart Range Road, about halfway between Colorado Springs and Woodland Park. Rampart Range Road, built during the Great Depression by the Civilian Conservation Corps, is a maintained dirt road that, in dry conditions, is accessible to most passenger cars. However, high clearance is recommend (even in dry conditions) and in wet or snowy conditions, only 4x4s should venture up Rampart Range Road. This area is served by Randy’s High Country Towing, regionally famous for extracting the vehicles of folks who got in over their heads on Pikes Peak area backroads.


Be forewarned that Rampart Range Road is bedeviled by irresponsible, speeding, out of control drivers. Combine this behavior with narrow, wash-boarded dirt roads and your worst objective hazard of the day becomes other drivers and their vehicles. Drive defensively on this road!
 Notch Mountain  Regional MapClick on map image to enlarge.

Red Tape

There is very little red tape in this part of the Pike National Forest.

  • Do not litter and dispose properly of human waste.

  • Much of Rampart Range Road is a “no shoot” zone. That means: Shoot only in designated target ranges.

  • Operate motor vehicles only on designated roadways.

  • For everyone’s safety, the National Forest officials segregate street legal, licensed motor vehicle traffic from OHV traffic. Adhere to posted placards managing this traffic. (In plain English: Keep your Jeep off the trails and keep your dirt bike / quad runner off the roads.)

Outcrop on  Notch Mountain Outcrop on "Notch Mountain"
04 Apr 2009

Camping & Lodging

National Forest Campsites


 Notch Mountain  typical travel conditions"Notch Mountain" typical travel conditions
04 Apr 2009
 Notch Mountain  socked in"Notch Mountain" socked in
04 Apr 2009

Rustic car camping and backcountry camping can be found in the adjacent Pike National Forest. Be forewarned that the proximity of this area to the urban I-25 corridor means that crowding can be an issue, especially in the summer, and that unsavory characters are known to frequent this area. Be prepared for heavy ATV use, large crowds, drunkenness and casual firearms usage.

The nearest semi-developed US Forest Service campsites would be in the Rampart Reservoir area.




Meadow Ridge Campground:
  • 19 campsites

  • 9,200 feet elevation

  • Season: Generally early May through September

  • $15 per night, per site

  • Amenities include tables, fire grates, drinking water, latrines, and trash collection


Thunder Ridge Campground:
  • 21 campsites

  • 9,200 feet elevation

  • Season: Generally early May through September

  • $15 per night, per site

  • Amenities include tables, fire grates, drinking water, latrines, and trash collection



Hotels, Cabins & B&Bs



Manitou Springs
Manitou Springs lies at the foot of Ute Pass. The Barr Trail trailhead lies within this community. This colorful, eclectic town offers a wide range of lodging options including old-style motor cottages and cabins, retro family-run motels, charming B&Bs and modern chain hotels. Shopping and dining are within walking distance of most Manitou lodging. Visit the a href=http://www.manitousprings.org/Default.aspx >Manitou Springs Visitors Website for more information on lodging in the area.

Colorado Springs
The hotel options in Colorado Springs are virtually limitless. If you are the 5-star luxury type, be sure to check out The Broadmoor.

Weather & Seasons

Due to relatively low altitude, “Notch Mountain” is a reasonable year-round summit objective.

Winter & Spring: The snow season is a delightful time to visit “Notch Mountain”. The crowds are sparse and the moisture keeps the dust to a minimum. However, a deep snow will make Rampart Range Road impassible.

Summer & Fall: In the summer and into the fall (before the first big snow) this area can be hot, dusty and crowded. Visiting early in the morning or in the middle of the week will mitigate these issues.

Zone Forecast for Green Mountain Falls, CO


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.