Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.42716°N / 10.72386°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7680 ft / 2341 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

PlanseePlansee
ThanellerFrom Plansee lake
Thaneller is a free-standing beautifully shaped pyramid at the north-east border of the Lechtal Alps. The southern slopes of the mountain are gentle and offer an easy ascent route to the summit. But if you look at Thaneller from the north you see the second face of the mountain. The north side is a steep face with a height of up to 800m, which is quite an eye catcher. Maybe this was the reason for some people, who did the first ascent somewhen before 1800.

Because of its location, Thaneller is a magnificent view point and very popular. The views to the east and west are dominated by the rocky mountains of the Lechtal Alps and Wettersteingebirge. To the north the mountains become more gentle and get lower and lower. This creates a beautiful frame for the fjord-like Plansee, a lake which is quite nearby and makes the panorama from Thaneller very special. In contrast to the other directions, the view to the south provides a glimpse of the glaciated peaks of the alpine central-ridge with Wildspitze being the highest mountain visible.

As said before, the mountain is visited frequently and if the weather is nice, you have to leave the summit a bit to find a place to sit. As on many other popular peaks there are two things to do to avoid the crowds: start early and go fast to be ahead of the others. While resting at the summit you have to take care of your food, since lots of alpine coughs are waiting for their chance to get a bit of it...

Panoramic View

180° panorama from somewhere close to the shoulder on the southern route.

Routes Overview

  • From Berwang
    To get to the trailhead you have to get to Berwang along the road from Bichlbach (access to road 179) or by the bus connection from Bichlbach. Starting at the parking lot at Moos trail #611 leads up into the forrest crossing the Grießtal. At the so-called Kampeleplatz the trail turns right and follows the south slope of Thaneller.
  • Werner-Rietzler Steig
    Trailhead is the parking lot on the left side shortly after leaving Heiterwand towards Reutte. From there a trail leads up into the Thanellerkar and further into the north face of Thaneller. Using bands the trail crosses the hole face to a ridge coming down from the summit. This ridge is secured by some iron wires and leads up to the summit.
  • Thanellerkar (ski route)
    Follow the Werner-Rietzler Steig into the Thanellerkar but don' t follow it into the face. Continue to ascent the Thanellerkar to the saddle between Thaneller and Rintljoch. From there you follow the western slopes up to the summit.
Hiking with a viewascending...

Mountain Conditions

Thaneller from GrubigsteinWinterly view

Weather

  • www.wetter.at [Berwang]
    Long term, but sometimes inaccurate weather forecast for the village of Berwang.
  • ZAMG
    Not as detailed as the link above, but quite accurate forecasts.
  • OEAV weather forecast
    Weather forecast especially for mountaineering porpuses. Unfortunately this page is available in german only.
  • Avalanche report (Tyrol/Austria)
    This german internet page offers the current avalanche report for Tyrol. A link to the current avalanche report in english (pdf document) is on the left side.

Webcams

Getting There

View from ThanellerBerwang

By car

The trailheads are easily reached by the road 179 connecting Reutte and Ehrwald. From Ehrwald you have access to Garmisch-Partenkirchen (Germany)/Innsbruck (Austria) and the Fernpass. From Reutte you have a good connection to southern Germany.

By train

The Ausserfernbahn connects Garmisch-Partenkirchen with Reutte and stops at Bichlbach and Heiterwang. From Bichlbach you have a bus connection to Berwang but I don' t know when the bus leaves (I suppose its not too often). For more information about train and bus connections visit www.bahn.de or www.oebb.at.

Red Tape

There are no permits, fees or seasonal closures. Parking at the trailhead at Moos (southern route) is free. I don' t know if there is a parking lot at the trailhead of Werner-Rietzler Steig.

Camping

There is no hut directly on the monutain. Camping on the mountain is possible, since there are several spots to pitch a tent on the southern slopes of Thaneller. Views from there during sunset must be great!

The area around Reutte and especially around Ehrwald (only some km away) offers several places to stay. For more information check out the links to the hmepages of theses areas in the External Links section.

When To Climb

Thaneller si climbed all the year. The southern route is more crowded and very hot in summer. But it is quite warm and may offer a snow-free ascent even early in winter. I' ve heard that the common ski-route is along the Thanellerkar up to the saddle between Thaneller and Rintljoch (2166m/7106ft).

Maps And Books

Alpenvereinsführer - Lechtaler Alpen alpin
Dieter Seibert
Bergverlag Rudolf Rother
ISBN: 3-7633-1268-4
Guide book of the hole Lechtal Alps group. The book includes the most common ascents to Thaneller.
Lechtaler Alpen Hornbachkette
KOMPASS
ISBN: 3-85491-025-8
1:50 000 map of hole Lechtal Alps group. The Werner-Ritzler Steig route isn' t completely visible on the map. The can be bought at http://www.kompass.at/produkte/alle_produkte/product-detail/wk-24-lechtaler-alpen-hornbachkette/.

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.