Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 16.81200°N / 88.62°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Additional Information Elevation: 3687 ft / 1124 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Victoria Peak is the highest mountain in the range at a height of 3,675 feet and the second highest elevation in Belize. Victoria Peak is situated in the Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary.

The first expedition to the Cockscomb Mountains in was led by Governor Roger T. Goldworthy in 1888. From 1927 to 1928, there were three more expeditions into the Cockscomb Mountains. They found that the peak described by the Goldworthy Expedition was not the highest peak, and therefore not Victoria Peak. Clearly, whatever peak the Goldworthy Expedition climbed, the name "Victoria Peak" was given to the highest peak of the Cockscomb Range, in honor of Queen Victoria.
Victoria Peak from 18 kmVictoria Peak, viewed from trail 18 km

On May 2, 1998, Victoria Peak was declared to be a natural monument. Prior to this declaration, Victoria Peak was part of the Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary. At the Launching of the 30th Anniversary Celebration on February 6, 1999, an agreement between the Belize Audubon Society and the Government of Belize was signed, adding Victoria Peak and Blue Hole Natural Monuments to the list of protected areas managed by the Belize Audubon Society.
view from Victoria peak summitView from the summit

Rising abruptly from the lowlands, the jagged Cockscomb Mountains are an impressive mass of rock that is visible from the coast in clear days. The Victoria Peak Trail is open during Belize's dry season, February 1 - May 31. Recommended to do it in 3-4 days hiking. 5 days if you're not in good conditions. All hikers must be accompanied by a licensed tour guide (experienced guides can be hired from the local communities buffering Cockscomb).

Flora Pico Victoria BeliceAwesome colors, shapes and textures everywhere


Be prepared for very long trails to hike in many days, like a never ending up and down hills, through jungle, high temperatures, high level of humidity, angry insects, snakes, jaguars, wild animals, no huts or facilities and carrying you full backpack.

Hiking and climbing Victoria Peak is an adventure few Belizeans or foreigners visitors get to experience. It's only 1,160 meters above sea level, but the ascension starting in the middle of the through tropical rainforest, just 27 kilometers to the top. Both Victoria Peak and Doyle’s Delight are the smallest mountains of all peaks from Central America summit points, BUT at the same time are the hardest mountains to hike/climb in all Central America region.

Getting There

Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary is located off the Southern Highway, approximately 20 miles south of Dangriga. The entrance is at Maya Center Village, where the Maya Center Women’s Group collects the entrance fees to the protected area. From here, the actual park is six miles down a dirt road. Visitors can drive, hike into the park (roughly 2 hours), or hire a local taxi from the village (US$12.50 one-way).
rockwall near to Victoria Peak summitClimbing rockwall near to the summit


By Vehicle For those renting vehicles, a four-wheel drive is recommended and necessary in wet weather. From Belize City, the journey takes approximately 2.5 hours. Take the Western Highway out of Belize City, turn left onto the Hummingbird Highway (signposted to Belmopan), then right onto the Southern Highway (signposted to Punta Gorda), just six miles before Dangriga. The turnoff to Cockscomb is located at Maya Center, about 20 minutes after turning onto the Southern Highway. Visitors should park at the turnoff, and pay the entrance fee at the Maya Center Women’s Group Gift Shop and then drive up the dirt road six miles to the Cockscomb Basin Visitor Center.

By Bus The BBDC, National Transport or James Bus Service from Belize City to Punta Gorda will stop at Maya Center, if requested (about 3.5 hrs). All buses stop in Dangriga before proceeding south.

By Plane Flights are available from Belize City to Dangriga (Maya Island Air or Tropic Air) and take approximately 20 minutes. From Dangriga either take a taxi (US$75) to Cockscomb or take a bus to Punta Gorda and ask to stop at Maya Center





Camping

Victoria Peak Belice - riverRiver and cascade, near the Dead Man's Camp Km 19


A) KM 0 - Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary Center
B) KM 12 - Base Camp
C) KM 19 - Dead Man's Camp

Anyway, is possible to camp in many areas if you are using hammock or vivac. Many creeks provides water but you need to filtered before drink it.


External Links

Belize.com

Internet Belize Magazine

MARCUS CUCUL experimented guide from Belize Also recommended as great guide

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Maya Mountains - BelizeMountains & Rocks