Chausenque, Pointe de

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.77316°N / 0.14295°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 10512 ft / 3204 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Piton Carré and Pointe de Chausenque
Pointe de Chausenque

The Pointe de Chausenque (Punta de Chausenque in Spanish) is the peak between the two most climbed peaks of Vigemale Massif, the highest Grand Vignemale (3298m) and the easiest Petit Vignemale (3032m), and for this reason is one of the less known of the massif. Generally the collectors of peak of 3000m climb the peak across its normal route from the glacier d’Ossoue (F.sup. II-) in the same day of Grand Vignemale but the summit is as well a point of transition in the full ridge Petit-Grand Vignemale (A.D.inf.) for the lovers of rock-climbs.
Pointe de Chausenque

Routes:
-normal from Glacier d'Ossoue: P.D.- (II).
-full ridge Petit Vignemale-Punta Chausenque-Piton Carré: A.D.inf. (III in descent from Petit Vignemale to col des glaciers and II+ in the climb to Epaule and Punta Chausenque).

First climb:
V. de Chausenque on 1822 across the ridge from Petit Vignemale, but he don't followed to Grand Vignemale.

Vicent de Chausenque
Vicent de Chausenque (1782-1868) was a mountaineer with some of the first climb in important peaks of Pyrenees as this summit or Nèouvielle.

Getting There

Access from the French side by road is from the East-West autoroute E80 (Bayonne to Toulouse) and the National road N21 via Lourdes and the D821 / D920 to Cauterets or the D921 to Gavarnie. There are airports at Pau and Toulouse.

Access from Spanish side by road from the N.W. or W. of the country: across Irun to cross to France, taking the road to Bayonne and the same French way.

Access from Spanish side in the centre of Pyrenees (near Huesca): the best option in the entry in French territory across Col du Portalet or Col du Somport. In winter many days this road is closed by the snow (or it requires the use of chains). D918 to Argelès-Gazost, D12 and D921 to Gavarnie.

Red Tape

No permits are required. If you want to sleep in the Refuge of Bayssellance is advisable the reserve by phone.

Camping

In the National Parks camping is normally not allowed, except in a place of more than 1h of walk of a refuge, but it's very difficult in the route from the North (Oulettes de Gaube) because it exist two refuges (Gaube and Bayssellance). The best option to camp is near Barrage d'Ossoue, in the South approach, with some places indicates near of the dam.

Refuge Baysellance

External Links

National Park of Pyrenees

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.