Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.37778°N / 68.25259°W
Additional Information County: Hancock
Activities Activities: Hiking, Bouldering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1248 ft / 380 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Hopefully someone creates an Acadia National Park page. Sure, the summits are not high, but the views are incredible and there is nothing else like it in the U.S. The hiking is very enjoyable as well, and some trails, though short, are quite steep. There is plenty of rock climbing and biking available in the park as well. Most of my time spent in Acadia was during my childhood, so I wouldn't do justice to an Acadia page. However, I had the chance to hike Pemetic this past summer (2008), so here goes. Please feel free to add/ comment on anything you'd like, as this is my first posting.

Pemetic Mountain (1248 ft.) is the third highest summit in Acadia National Park. Several short hikes lead up the mountain from all sides, and can be combined with other summits in the park. The views of Bubble Rock, Jordan Pond, Cadillac Mountain, Seal Harbor, Somes Sound, and the Cranberry Islands from the summit are expansive and inspiring.

History

The mountain gets its name from the early Native American name for the Mount Desert Island area, "Pemetic," which means "sloping land."

Geology

Granite underlies most of Acadia National Park, and Pemetic Mountain's open summit is a fine example of Cadillac Mountain Granite -- a coarse-grained pink-hued granite. The island itself consists of a series of barren ridges separated by U-shaped valleys caused by glacial erosion. These ridges usually run north-south, with gentle slopes to the north and northwest and steeper slopes to the south and southeast.




Getting There

Getting to Pemetic Mountain is quite simple, although it could involve a long drive. From Ellsworth, ME head south on route 3 until you reach the Hulls Cove Visitor Center in Acadia National Park. Take the Park Loop Road southwest to the Bubble Rock/Jordan Pond area. Park at the Bubble Rock parking lot. The Bubbles-Pemetic Mountain trail starts across the road on the east side.

Trails

Acadia National Park


Bubbles - Pemetic Trail

This is the steepest route up the mountain, beginning across the Park Loop Road from the Bubble Rock parking area. 1.2 miles, 950 ft. elevation gain to the summit.

Pemetic Mountain Trail

At 1.5 miles route is longer than the Bubbles-Pemetic trail, but not as steep, making it the most popular trail up the mountain. The trailhead begins at Bubble Pond and is marked with blue blazes. The trail follows the northeast face of Pemetic through the woods with occasional views before reaching the open ridge to the summit. Trailhead access is from the Bubble Pond parking area. Can be combined with Pemetic Mountain Southeast Ridge Trail to create loop via the carriage road to Bubble Pond.

Pemetic Mountain Southeast Ridge Trail

This is the longest and one of the less-traveled routes up Pemetic. It first summits the Triad, then continues up some cliffs and along a ridge to Pemetic's summit. Hike the carriage road southeast from Bubble Pond parking area for 1.6 miles to reach the trailhead.


View Larger Map

Red Tape

You must purchase an Acadia National Park pass from May 1 - October 31 ($10 May 1 - June 22; $20 June 23 - early October; $10 early October - October 31). The park loop road is closed in winter but a skiing/hiking combination is possible.

Although not as crowded as Cadillac Mountain and other areas of the park, Acadia does fill up in the summer and it's possible that you could be amongst many fellow hikers up Pemetic.

Camping

There are two campgrounds available within Acadia National Park, as well as several other privately owned campgrounds on Mount Desert Island. Blackwoods in Acadia National Park is the closest campground. Reservations recommended during the summer months. No hookups. Showers nearby.

Weather

Current weather at Acadia:

Click for Acadia National Park, Maine Forecast

External Links

Acadia National Park
Great Photos of Pemetic Mountain



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Acadia National ParkMountains & Rocks