Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.33804°N / 105.48647°W
Additional Information County: Larimer
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 9355 ft / 2851 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Towering 1,500 feet over the valley below, Kruger Rock commands a spectacular view of some of Rocky Mountain National Parks highest peaks from Mount Meeker and Long’s Peak, to Mount Ypsilon and Hagues Peak in the Mummy Range.
The crux of the view
The view - from Mount Meeker to Notchtop, May 16th, 2009.

Located in the Roosevelt National Forest a few miles south and slightly east of the Town of Estes Park, Kruger Rock is at the end of a recently completed trail that starts in Larimer County’s, Hermit Park Open Space.
At 9,355 ft, Kruger Rock would be little noted nor long remembered if not for it’s close proximity and unimpeded views of the essence of Rocky Mountain National Park, alpine beauty.
Kruger Rock
Good Day at Kruger Rock

The crux of the climb is the notch up the middle of the rock that leads the last 50 feet to the top. It's a relatively easy class 3 scramble to the summit.
Kruger Rock
The crux of the climb - the notch

Getting There

From Loveland via Hwy 34:  
Hermit Park locator map
Locator Map

Drive west on Hwy 34 for 31.5 miles toward Estes Park. Turn left (south) onto Mall Road (CR 63) for .6 miles. Turn left (east) onto US Hwy 36 for 2.1 miles. The entrance to Hermit Park is on your right.
This route closed on October 17, 2016 for major roadwork to repair damage caused by the 2013 floods. It is not scheduled to reopen until sometime around Memorial Day weekend, 2017.  

From Lyons via Hwy 36:
Turn right onto West Main Street onto US Hwy 36 W. Continue on Hwy 36 W for 16.7 miles. The entrance to Hermit Park is on your left.

From the entrance, drive approx. 2 miles to the trailhead parking area, which will be on your left, behind the event area.



Routes

The Kruger Rock trail starts in Hermit Park at approximately 8,440’ and winds along it’s two mile course to the 9,355 foot summit of Kruger Rock. It’s a moderate climb of a little over 900 feet with a few brief interludes of elevation loss.
The Mummy Range
The Mummy Range



Red Tape

Daily permits are required and season passes are also available.
See Larimer County Park Fees for more detail.

Camping

Camping is available at Hermit Park. It is pricey, especially considering what you get (or don’t get). Port-a-potties have been replaced with vault toileted facilities and water is available at the event area, entrance to the Bobcat CG loop and at the park entrance.
Backcountry camping is not permitted.




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.