Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.43250°N / 106.015°W
Additional Information County: Summit
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11412 ft / 3478 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Clouds obscure Bald MountainClouds obscure Bald Mountain
24 May 09

Mount Argentine is a mid-sized Elevener residing just east of the community of Blue River. A trail traverses the mountain, arching from west to east in a northerly trend. This gentle but sometimes steep trail carries the hiker to within a few feet of the broad, sandy and rocky summit. Mount Argentine is positioned conveniently like a viewing platform for enjoying the neighboring Thirteeners that surround it.

Mount Argentine rises to the north of the middle and lower Pennsylvania Creek drainage. Along the lower reaches of the mountain, the hiker is treated to the sights, sounds and sweet smells of a rushing mountain stream. From the summit, the visitor can take in expansive views of the Tenmile Range to the west. Meanwhile, to the east the visitor is treated to Boreas Pass area vistas, including Boreas Mountain (13,082 ft.) and Bald Mountain (13,684 ft.). Red Mountain (13,229 ft.) dominates the view to the south.

Colorado Rank: 1598th highest mountain in Colorado
Eleveners Rank: 285th highest Elevener in Colorado
Prominence: 312
Mountain Range: Front Range
USGS Quad: Breckenridge
Trails Illustrated Map: #109 (Breckenridge, Tennessee Pass)

Rank and Prominence Reference: Lists of John

Getting There

Mount Argentine Area MapMount Argentine Area Map
The well-hidden trailheadThe well-hidden trailhead
24 May 09






Mount Argentine rises in Summit County to the north of the Pennsylvania Creek drainage, just east of the community of Blue River. Blue River is 6 miles west of Hoosier Pass and 3 miles east of Breckenridge on Colorado Highway 9. Mount Argentine is near, but not immediately on, the Continental Divide.




Red Tape

Clouds boil over the Tenmile RangeClouds boil over the Tenmile Range
24 May 09
Tenmile Range from Mt. ArgentineTenmile Range from Mt. Argentine
24 May 09





Access to this part of the White River National Forest is gained through a residential community. While public access through the residential streets to the National Forest lands is perfectly legal, the community does not go out of its way to make finding the National Forest Access trailhead particularly easy.

Camping & Lodging

Southward Toward Red MountainSouthward Toward Red Mountain
24 May 09

National Forest Camping
While no developed National Forest campgrounds are available in the immediately Hwy 9 corridor near Blue River, opportunities for rustic car-camping and backcountry camping are everywhere. Be forwarned that this area is popular with Colorado residents and tourists alike. Expect heavy crowds.

Hotels, Cabins & B&Bs

Blue River & Breckenridge
A wide variety of lodging options can be found in Breckenridge and Blue River, ranging from simple hotel rooms to luxury mountain retreats. Rates may be moderate in the shoulder season (spring and fall) and tolerable in the summer. Expect astronomical lodging rates during the winter ski season.

Detailed information on Breckenridge area lodging (including Blue River) may be found here: Breckenridge Area Lodging

Fairplay & Alma
On the other side of Hoosier Pass, the communities of Fairplay and Alma provide a more laid-back atmosphere and more reasonable prices for lodging. Fewer hotel rooms and lodges exist on this side of the pass, but privately-owned rental cabins can allow for ample privacy with all of the comforts of home.

Detailed information about lodging in Fairplay and Alma may be found here: South Park Area Lodging




Weather & Seasons

Moderate elevation and mostly gentle, tree-covered slopes make Mount Argentine an ideal year-round destination. A recent heavy snow may render to roads to the trailhead impassible, but residences along the way, clear up to the trailhead, tilt the odds in favor of having a plowed roadway. Note that deep drifts of unconsolidated snow will likely be encountered in the trees. Be prepared to posthole, even with snowshoes on, unless previous snow-season traffic has tamped down the trail surface.

Zone Forecast for Breckenridge, CO


Fallen TreeThis tree fell with a thump to the ground immediately after we had passed it.
...that probably would have hurt.
24 May 09



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.