Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 22.41158°N / 114.12452°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3140 ft / 957 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Topographic isolation: 96 km
Prominence: 910 m

Overview

The sy of Hong Kong
Hong Kong Orchid Tree - Emblem of Hong Kong

Tai Mo Shan (traditional Chinese: 大帽山; Cantonese Yale: daai mo saan, literally meaning "Big Hat Mountain"; also traditional Chinese: 大霧山; Cantonese Yale: daai mo saan, literally meaning "Foggy Mountain") is the highest peak in Hong Kong, with an altitude of 957 m. It is located approximately in the geographical centre of the New Territories.
The area surrounding Tai Mo Shan is a country park, which covers an area of 14.40 km² and adopts the same name - Tai Mo Shan Country Park. It is located to the north of Tai Lam Country Park

Tai Mo Shan is made up of volcanic rocks of Jurassic age. The volcanic rocks are mainly coarse ash crystal tuff. To the northwest, the west and the south of the peak, the valleys contain large deposits of colluvium. The upper slopes are distinctly "ribbed", as is especially evident after a hill fire. These are stone terraces, running obliquely downhill to the valleys.

Tai Mo Shan is the coldest place in the territory. During cold spells when temperature drops to near freezing point, many people drive up here to see frost, a rare sight in sub-tropical Hong Kong. The summit of Tai Mo Shan is accessible by the vehicular Tai Mo Shan Road. On clear days, the lookout gives a spectacular panoramic view of the Northern and Western New Territories, as well as the Yuen Long and Pat Heung plains. You can even see Shekou and Shenzhen on good days. Misty days atop Tai Mo Shan is another picture altogether. High up on the mountain, the mood is so ethereal you seem to be drifting on clouds.

Tai Mo Shan has the highest rainfall in Hong Kong, with 30% more rain than other parts of the territory. Fed by rainwater, rushing streams and sheer gullies cut forcefully down the slopes and merge into the Ng Tung Chai Waterfalls, a series of cascades rated one of the nine greatest falls by hikers. The 100 m Long Falls, a famous section of the Ng Tung Chai Waterfalls, has the highest drop of all. Other sections are the Straggling-hair Falls, Middle Falls and Well Falls. Following recent landslips, some sections of the path to Ng Tung Chai are now closed. Visitors should not attempt to travel through.

There are forest plantations in the southeastern part of the park. Limited by climatic and geographic factors, these plantations end at the 550 metre contour, above which shrubs and grasses dominate.

In the past, Tai Mo Shan was famous for a type of green tea, called mist or cloud tea, which grew wild up on the mountain side. Occasionally, local people can still be seen picking the tea shoots for brewing green tea.
Camellia sinensis var. waldenae(formerly Camellia waldenae) are found on the mountain.

Some montane birds and rare species of snakes and butterflies breed here. There are also freshwater crabs, feral dogs, feral cats, oxen and wild boar.

How to get there

Waterfall near Route Twisk
A waterfall along Route Twisk

Servicing the entrance of Tai Mo Shan Country Park, is Route Twisk's route 51, operating between Tsuen Wan Nina Tower I and Kam Sheung Road MTR Station.

The bus also stops at Tsuen Wan MTR Station (HK$7.80). If you go up the hill with the bus no. 51 from the Tsuen Wan station, then you have to get off the bus at the Tai Mo Shan Road (in elevation 430 m) and walk up along the Tai Mo Shan Road.

With private car you can go up to the parking place being on 680 m elevation ASL.

For information about the MTR public transport click HERE.

For getting a network map of public transport in Hong Kong, click >HERE.

Routes

Cemetery in the hillside
 Cemetery on the hillside
There are Big Black Buffalos everywhere on the hill
 Black Buffalo
Morning view of Hong Kong
 Morning view of Hong Kong

 The “Extreme” Route
If you consider Tai Mo Shan too small for climbing, find the lowest point and go up from there. A good option is to start the route from the Tsuen Wan MTR Station. It is in elevation 20 m above see level. From here you can walk up the way to the village Chuen Lung (310 m above see level), and 5 km far from the Tsuen Wan station. There is a pedestrian walkway along the Route Twisk, and the traffic is not too big, so it’s safe and pleasant to walk up. From the village a new paved pedestrian walkway leads up to the cemetery (450 m ASL). Among the graves of the cemetery you can go up to the ridge of the hill here. On the ridge there is a hiking trail leading up to a military post (750 m ASL). There are side trails along this way, but if you concentrate on remaining always on the ridge and following the steepest way, you will not be lost. After a while the military post will lead you in your way, too. The last hundred meters before the military post is so steep that the trail turns into a staircase here. Though the military post is in operation, you can bypass it without problems. 150 meters after the post you will meet another trail. Turn here left. After a further 300 meters you will join the Tai Mo Shan Road. Turn here right and following the road you will be on the top after 1.8 km.
This route will give you magnificent views to the city of Hong Kong, as well as to the nature east and west to the hill of Tai Mo Shan.


Other routes on the hill

Tai Mo Shan Country Park Visitor Centre
Take bus no. 51 in Tsuen Wan and get off at the bus stop near the junction of Route Twisk and Tai Mo Shan Road. Walk up Tai Mo Shan Road. The centre is about 10 minutes away.

Tai Mo Shan Family Walk
This route starts and ends in the Rotary Club Park. Take bus no. 51 in Tsuen Wan and get off at the Tsuen Kam Country Park Management Centre. From there, it is a 3-minute walk to the Rotary Club Park.

Hiking Practice Trail
This route starts and ends in the Rotary Club Park. Take bus no. 51 in Tsuen Wan and get off at the Tsuen Kam Country Park Management Centre. From there, it is a 3-minute walk to the Rotary Club Park.
Chuen Lung Family Walk
This walk starts and ends in the Chuen Lung Barbecue Area 1. Take green minibus no. 80 to Chuen Lung Village, or take bus no. 51 to the bus stop in front of the village. Starting point of the walk is about 20 minutes away.

Lung Mun Country Trail
Take green minibus no. 80 to Chuen Lung Village, or take bus no. 51 to the bus stop in front of the village. Starting point of the trial is about 20 minutes away. For your return journey, walk from Area 8 of Shing Mun Country Park to Pineapple Dam to catch green minibus no. 82 for Tsuen Wan.

Red Tape

The first military post on the top
A military post on the top of this subhill

Following recent landslips, some sections of the path to Ng Tung Chai are now closed. Visitors should not attempt to travel through.

The top of the peek is occupied by military. It is within a fenced area. You cannot enter it, so you will have no possibility of being on the very top of the hill. Making photos and sketches is forbidden here because of the military presence. Obviously camping must be forbidden, too.

External Links

View to west
Despite its extremely dense population, Honh Kong has some inhabited areas, too

 

· Geography of Hong Kong
· List of mountains, peaks and hills in Hong Kong