Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.29350°N / 121.2616°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4570 ft / 1393 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Shot from the summit
 View from the summit


Located just I-90, Amabilis Mountain is a summit that is very convenient to reach. It is only an hour from Seattle and in winter is it one of the more popular cross country ski area here. However in summer this mountain is very ignored to hikers due to more popular mountains in the I-90 corridor. There are no true sense of trails on this mountain. However there is a dirt road that leads all the to the foot of the true summit. On all the websites I have ever read this road is closed to hiking. However the road is not gated and is very well maintained, leading somone to drive basically all the way to the summit. My group decided to walk the road which is about 5 miles and 2200 feet up one way.

Shot from the summit
 Flowers on the summit rocks



Amabilis Mountain's true summit is actually away from looks at first to be the summit area. The eastern part of the mountain rises to 4554 where the little beacon is. The true summit is on the northern part is 4570. The summit rocks are home to excellent closeup views of Kachess Lake and a nice northerly view towards Mount Daniel and the rest of the Cascades. I hear there is a good view of Rainier from Amabilis but the clouds blocked me from witnessing those views. Still the view of Kachess Lake makes heading to the summit more than worthwhile.

Shot from the summit
 Looking down to I-90


The road up is simple to follow to the summit. Take the mostly well graded road all the way up and stay on the main road to within site of the summit. Then head to the left and look for the faint trail that is near a pull out area. In winter this is a cross country ski trail and will be easy to follow. Once on the faint trail follow it to the summit rocks where decent north views await.

Amabilis Mountain View
Amabilis Mountain View



Getting There

VIA THE SUMMIT ROAD: Take I-90 to Exit 63. Head north once off the exit. The Summit Road will be 0.5 miles on your right with a turnaround on your lefthand side.

Red Tape

In winter a SNO-PARK pass is required. In summit I would bring a Northwest Pass, though I didn't see a sign.

Camping

From what I saw heading up there is camping allowed here heading up the mountain during summer. This is not the case in winter due to the mountain being a popular cross country ski destination.

External Links

The best website for local trip reports in the Cascades

Weather Conditions

Here are what the weather conditions would be from nearby Cle Elum.



alt="Click for Cle Elum, Washington Forecast" height=60 width=468>


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.