Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.37083°N / 121.20856°W
Additional Information County: Kittitas
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5854 ft / 1784 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Thorp Mountain From AmabilisThorp Mountain, as seen from Amabilis Mountain

Thorp Mountain is a peak located on the western side of the Teanaway region of Washington State. Positioned at the intersection of two ridges, Kachess Ridge and No Name Ridge, but with no higher mountains in the immediate vicinity, Thorp Mountain is an ideal summit destination for hikers seeking far-ranging views.
Thorp MountainThorp Mountain Lookout

The location of Thorp Mountain is so ideal, in fact, that the U.S. Forest Service built a fire lookout at the summit in 1931 which still stands today. The lookout is a popular destination regardless of the season, although the lookout interior tends to only be open to the public during the hot mid-Summer to early-Fall seasons.
Enchantments From Thorp MountainView of Mount Stuart

From the summit of Thorp Mountain, views extend far in every direction. To the north, Alpine Lakes Wilderness peaks such as Bears Breast Mountain, Mount Hinman, and Mount Daniel are seen. To the west, peaks of the Snoqualmie Pass corridor are seen. To the south, Mount Rainier and Mount Adams are both seen. To the east, Mount Stuart and other peaks of the Enchantments, as well as Jolly Mountain and other peaks of the Teanaway region, are seen.
Amabilis From Thorp MountainAmabilis Mountain As Seen From Thorp Mountain Summit

In closer proximity to the mountain, No Name Ridge can be seen to the north, Amabilis Mountain can be seen to the southwest, Hard Knox and French Cabin Peaks can be seen to the south, and Red Mountain can be seen to the east.
Thorp LakeThorp Lake

There are multiple routes that can be hiked, to reach Thorp Mountain. The shortest route is via the Knox Creek Trail, which is only 2.5 miles each way.

Getting There

There are multiple routes that lead toward Thorp Mountain. Here are the general instructions for the main two routes:

1) Follow I-90, heading east from Snoqualmie Pass.

2) Take Exit 80 (a.k.a. Roslyn exit).

3) Head north for approximately three miles to a roundabout. Go around the roundabout and continue heading north.

4) After approximately one more mile, enter Roslyn. Continue straight through town along the main road. The road bends at several locations.

5) The road then goes through the small town of Ronald, and becomes known as Salmon La Sac Road soon after passing through town.

6) After approximately 12.5 miles from Roslyn, turn left onto French Cabin Creek Road #4308.
NOTE: This road might not be marked. However, the road is found immediately after passing the Cle Elum River Campground (on the same side).

7) Follow Road #4308 for approximately 3.2 miles to a road intersection for Thorp Lake. From this intersection, either of the main two routes (Knox Creek Trail, Thorp Creek Trail) for Thorp Mountain can be attained. Continue straight at the junction to head towards the Knox Creek Trail, or turn right at the junction to head towards the Thorp Creek Trail.

See the "Route" section for further details.

Red Tape

A Northwest Forest Pass (i.e. parking permit) is required when parking at or near any of the established trailheads in the area.

Camping

Camping is allowed in established campsites only. Major campgrounds, such as Cle Elum River Campground, are found along SR-903 and Salmon La Sac Road.

It is recommended to check with the Cle Elum Ranger District for specific rules and regulations.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

The TeanawayMountains & Rocks
 
Washington LookoutsMountains & Rocks
 
The "Home Court" 100Mountains & Rocks