Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.09000°N / 113.77°W
Additional Information County: Custer
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 11967 ft / 3648 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This peak is often overlooked by those bagging the '12ers" of Idaho. It even got overlooked by the naming process. 

From downtown Mackay, drive approximately 15.5 miles north on Highway 93. Look for the sign on the right.The access for 11967 is up Elkhorn Creek, which is signed on the highway.

Getting There

From Ketchum/Sun valley, drive the Trail Creek road to Highway 93, then turn right (south). Elkhorn Creek is about 0.3 miles on your left.
When you locate the turnoff for Elkhorn Creek, open the wire gate (and close it after yourself!) and drive up the very rocky road. The first section, about a mile, is driveable in a high-clearance 2WD vehicle. The upper 1/2 mile requires 4WD, but you can walk, right? Just leave your rig where the road gets bad. At the end of the 4WD road, a slight tread leads you up the Elkhorn Creek canyon. Keep your eyes open, as the trail is a little vague in places. It also crosses the creek twice.

Red Tape

None.
Just make sure you close the gate at the highway each time you pass. Please.

Camping

Once you leave the highway on the Elkhorn Creek road, there aren't many flat spots. But there is one if you bear left. Look for an abandoned irrigation dam just before the road reaches the creek. The top of the dam is flat and just big enough for a tent.[img:524756:alignright:small:Talus field and snow on upper mountain]
Alternately, you can camp at Mackay Reservoir, which has lots of camp spots and real toilets!
Or if you're looking for something softer, try the Wagon Wheel motel in Mackay. Very reasonable.

External Links


For additional information on this climb and other peaks in the area, please see Tom Lopez's excellent book, Idaho: A Climbing Guide.

Routes

The main route for this peak follows a climber's trail up Elkhorn Creek to about 8400', then a steep bushwhack up the hillside to Point 9887 (trying to avoid the boulder patches). From there, head uphill to a bench, then angle left up through the talus. 
If you go early enough, you may find snow to climb, easing the difficulties presented by all that talus. When you get up high, access the ridge and scramble (Class III) to the summit.
On the descent, you might try crossing the ridge to Point 11400 and dropping straight down through the ankle-deep gravel.
Alternately, Vance Canyon looks like a nice route in snow, perhaps even a good ski route, although it may require more traversing and mileage.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Lost River RangeMountains & Rocks
 
Idaho ElevenersMountains & Rocks
 
Idaho Top 100Mountains & Rocks