“Ruby Peak” (0.7 mi SW of Ruby Lake)

“Ruby Peak” (0.7 mi SW of Ruby Lake)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.40890°N / 118.7821°W
Additional Information County: Inyo
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Scrambling
Additional Information Elevation: 13188 ft / 4020 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

“Ruby Peak” is the high point along the ridge leading north from Mt. Mills to Mono Pass, and is 0.75 miles southwest of Ruby Lake above the Little Lakes Valley in the Inyo National Forest. It is one of the closest California Thirteeners to a high trailhead (Mosquito Flat, 10,200+ ft), though its easiest route is class 3.

The east ridge is fairly solid with lovely extended class 3 sections and moderate exposure. The route finding is enjoyable, and the summit wonderfully airy, with excellent views of The Bear Creek Spire, Mt. Abbot and Mt. Mills nearby, Mt. Humphreys further, and the Palisades in the distance. As Secor notes, there is a small face a few hundred feet up the route (just poking above left skyline in main image) which is easily passed by following a ramp to its left (south) side.

The east face of the ridge connecting “Ruby Peak” and “Ruby Mesa” is known as the “Ruby Wall”, and provides numerous rock climbing routes (most 5.10, IV) toward the 13,125 foot summit at the southeast corner of “Ruby Mesa”.

Getting There

Take 395 to Tom’s Place, then turn south on Rock Creek Road and follow this to the very end, where there is a backpacker parking lot at the aptly named Mosquito Flat (10,200+ ft). From here, take the Little Lakes Valley trail for 0.5 miles (10,440+ ft), then turn right on the Mono Pass Trail. The east side is accessed from Ruby Lake (at 11,121' on a side trail about a mile from the Little Lakes Valley trail junction).

I highly recommend R. J. Secor’s The High Sierra, Peaks Passes & Trails (now in its third edition). This is the definitive climbing guide to the Sierra and was the source for many of the details on my SummitPost pages.

Red Tape

Like most places in the Sierra, you need a Wilderness Permit for overnight camping in the summer. The Little Lakes valley is a fairly high use area, so book your trip early. That said, unless you’re also attempting the higher peaks at the head of the Little Lakes Valley (Mills, Abbot, Dade, and the Bear Creek Spire), Ruby can easily be done as a day hike from Mosquito Flat.

Detailed information on permits, regulations and trailhead access can be found on Matthew Holliman’s excellent Eastern Sierra logistics page.

Camping

This is a gorgeous area, so I would highly recommend staying at least one night. Ruby Lake is an obvious choice, but there are also decent sites about 50-100' up the east ridge, where wind may help control the bugs (and it’s easy to retrieve water from the small lake just below in the saddle).

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Little Lakes ValleyMountains & Rocks
 
John Muir WildernessMountains & Rocks
 
California ThirteenersMountains & Rocks