Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.35754°N / 121.05551°W
Additional Information County: Kittitas
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5730 ft / 1747 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Sasse Mountain SummitSasse Mountain Summit

Sasse Mountain is a peak located in the western side of the Teanaway region of Washington State. The peak is found in a popular hiking area, located southwest of Jolly Mountain and north of Hex Mountain. Although several false summits and one true summit are located along its long mountain ridge, also known as Sasse Ridge, very limited views are found at any of the ridge highpoints. However, great views, especially west and east, can be seen from the saddles connecting the ridge highpoints. The Sasse Mountain Trail, which is a YDS Class 1 trail, is the primary route for attaining the true summit of Sasse Mountain. However, the route is rugged and steep in multiple areas, and snow can be found along the route even into July during high-snow years. Although in theory the mountain is hikable throughout the year, hiking Sasse Mountain is not recommended during months of snowpack and snowfall, as some of the mountain slopes are very steep, unstable, and avalanche-prone.
Sasse MountainSasse Ridge

Sasse Mountain is home to numerous flora and fauna. Wildflowers such as lupine, phlox, and Indian paintbrush are found on the mountain slopes. Pine tree forests are found throughout the ridgeline, as well. Black bear, elk, deer, and chipmunks frequently visit the mountain. Even cougars have been reportedly been seen basking in the sun along some of the peak’s rocky areas along the ridgetop. Hawks are commonly seen soaring high above the peak, quite possibly looking for the numerous rodents scurrying along the mountain slopes.

Getting There

Several routes lead towards the summit of Sasse Mountain, and each of those routes eventually join the Sasse Mountain Trail to reach the summit.

FROM I-90:
1) Take Exit 80 and head north on Bullfrog Road (SR-903). You will hit two traffic circles on the way to Roslyn. In both traffic circles focus on continuing north (straight) to Roslyn (not Suncadia Resort or Cle Elum).

2) Once in Roslyn, continue through town on SR-903. After the next town is reached (Ronald), the road is also known as Salmon la Sac Road.

3a) The southern terminus of the Sasse Mountain Trail (#1340) is located off Forest Road #4305 and Road #118.
3b) The Hex Mountain Trail (#1343) is located off Road #112.
3c) The Howson Creek Trail (#1349) is located off Salmon la Sac Road (SR-903), across the road from the Cle Elum Campground.
3d) The Little Salmon la Sac Trail (#1325) is located off Road #128.
3e) The northern terminus of the Sasse Mountain Trail (#1340) is located at Forest Road #4315, or can be joined from the Jolly Mountain Trail (#1307) where the two trails meet at 5600' elevation.

Red Tape

A Northwest Forest Pass (i.e. parking permit) is required at each of the possible trailheads.

Camping

Four major campgrounds are in the general vicinity of the mountain.
From south to north: Wish Poosh Campground, Cle Elum River Campground, Red Mountain Campground, and Salmon la Sac Campground.

Please contact the Cle Elum Ranger District regarding rules and regulations for backcountry camping, as it might not be allowed in the area.

External Links

Green Trails Map #208 ("Kachess Lake, WA") contains the mountain and routes for Sasse Mountain.

Click for Roslyn, Washington Forecast

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.