Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.00100°N / 107.9114°W
Additional Information County: Big Horn (MT), Big Horn (WY), Sheridan (WY)
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 9257 ft / 2822 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

View southSummit view south

This picturesque hill is significant mainly because of its status as one of the 56 county highpoints of Montana. The 804th-ranked peak in the state, it is the 21st highest Montana county highpoint; it is also interesting to note that its summit straddles the state line, also making it a Wyoming peak, and is simultaneously in two Wyoming counties (Big Horn and Sheridan) in addition to Big Horn county in Montana.

While the views from the summit are not great due to the forested areas surrounding the top, the sights from the south ridge leading to the top are very nice. The fields of wildflowers on this peak are the thickest and most spectacular I have found anywhere, and the mixed scents that rise up from the ground are both intoxicating and overpowering.

The approach to this mountain is best done from the Wyoming side due to the fact that its Montana portion lies on Crow Agency Reservation land, and there are signs along the border fence marked No Trespassing.
Summit view southeastFlower fields from the summit

Getting There

Big Horn cliffsCliffs south of the mountain
Flower FieldFlowers and more flowers!

From Lovell, Wyoming, take U.S. Highway 14A heading east for about 25.5 miles and turn left on Road 14, which is marked for Devils Canyon. To approach from Sheridan, Wyoming, follow Highway 14 to Burgess Junction, turn right on Highway 14A, and travel for about 18.5 miles.

Stay on Forest Road 14 for about 3 miles and turn right at the fork directing you to Sheep Mountain. This road climbs up over Duncum Mountain and eventually turns into Marble Quarry Road; at the fork, turn left onto Road 11 and wind your way up onto the east side of Sheep Mountain. This road is pretty rough in places, but unless it is wet, 4WD is not needed though high clearance is nice to have. Continue north and stay on Road 11 whenever there are forks; there is one hill that may be steep enough to give a 2WD car difficulties, but once past there, the road is not bad. Park at the border, which is a total of about 18 miles from Highway 14A.
Forest Boundary MarkerForest Boundary Marker

Head left up the faint two-track trail and follow it through the trees before heading right up the ridge to the top. The summit is a large plateau that is split down the middle by a fence, and the high point is somewhere near the pipe marked Big Horn Forest Boundary #17. The total hike to the top of the Big Horn County Highpoint is about 1.0 mile over Class 1 ground with 650 feet of elevation gain.
Looking east

Red Tape

Access to this area is best during the summer months, as Highway 14A is closed from the first big snowstorm through mid-May. It is usually sometime in late June before all the snow has melted off of the Sheep Mountain Road. This area has an abundance of wildlife, so be especially aware of moose, elk, black bears, and mountain lions when hiking in this area. There are no grizzlies in the Big Horns.

Camping

Places to camp in the Big Horns are numerous, with the majority of the range being open to dispersed camping. Camping is not allowed within 100 feet of lakes or streams, or within 1/4 mile of major roads. For complete rules and regulations, visit: http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/bighorn/recreation/camping/

External Links

COHP Page