Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.52221°N / 10.44199°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 10154 ft / 3095 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview and History

Monte Scorluzzo is a very nice mountain with great views on the surrounding Ortler area and Stilfser Joch. It is not a difficult climb to get to the summit. The first ascent was in the year 1857 by Wolf.

During the first World War (1914-1918) there was very serious fighting in the mountain and in the surrounding areas! If you look arround on the Scorluzzo you can see and find a lot of remains of this war.

A little History about the war:

die Erstürmung des Monte Scorluzzo

Monte Scorluzzo Wikipedia

This page will be updated very shortly + I will post more pictures.

Getting There

By Car:

FROM SUDTIROL BY CAR THROUGH STELVIO PASS: from Bozen (Alto Adige on the highway between Innsbruck and Verona) to Merano by main route and the by local route through Venosta Valley follow the signals to Stelvio mountain pass (2700 meters, the highest mountain pass reaching by car, open only in the summer period). On the top of the Stelvio pass you can park the car.

FROM GERMANY OR AUSTRIA BY CAR: on highways via either Innsbruck or Bregenz to Landeck and then following Staatsstraße S 13 to the italian border at the Reschenpass / Passo di Resia . There the Vinschgau / Val Venosta valley starts that represents the northern border of Ortles-Cevedale group. At Prad the Trafoi valley starts that leads either to Sulden / Solda or via Stilfser Joch / Passo di Stelvia. On the top of the Stelvio pass you can park the car.

Ascent routes:

- From Stilfser Joch: from the parking space at Stilfser Joch, follow the trail to Rif. Compagnoni. From Compagnoni follow the trail untill you reach P.so delle Pratigliole (2908m), then follow the easy East ridge to the summit. The trail is well marked, it will take you +/- 1hour and 45 minutes to get to the summit. This route is the most common, normal route.

- From the Stilfser-Joch-Strasse (SS38 Bormio side) this route starts at the "Il Cantoniera" at 2214m height. At this point you take the marked trail number 13 to the Scorluzzo. This route takes the southwest ridge (Filone Del Mot). It will take you 3 hours to the summit.


Maps and usefull information

Maps:

* Tabacco Ortlergebiet 1:25.000 Nr.08
* Kompass Vinschgau 1:50.000 Nr.52

Guidebooks:

* Gebiedsführer Rother Ortler Alpen, Peter Holl, ISBN 978-3-7633-1313-6



Mountain Conditions + Weather

The best season to climb the Scorluzzo is between June and September.

Weather info:

Weather Forecast for Passo Stelvio

Weather info Trafoi 1560m:

Weather Trafoi

Camping in the area + info about Ortler area

Camping is possible in Trafoi, this is a nice small village at the beginning of the Stelvio. Camping Trafoi is a very nice camping site,
al the sanitary facilities are new and well maintained.

Link to Trafoi camping:

Camping Trafoi

Link with info about the Ortler area:

Ortler area



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.