Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.38323°N / 121.33939°W
Additional Information County: Kittitas
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5560 ft / 1695 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Margaret SummitTrue Summit

Mount Margaret is a peak located in the southwestern region of Kittitas County of Washington State. The true summit of the mountain is located just outside of the Alpine Lakes Wilderness boundary, although the closest lakes to the mountain are located within that wilderness area. Ideally located just northeast of Snoqualmie Pass, Mount Margaret receives plenty of snow for winter snow climbs and plenty of dry heat for summer day hikes.
Mount Margaret False SummitSouth False Summit

With only 440' of clean prominence, the peak is certainly not one of the most prominent locations in the region. However, far-ranging views from the true summit, as well as the several false summits (two south of true summit and one northwest of true summit), makes this peak a desirable goal for avid hikers and nature lovers.
Mount Margaret Summit ViewEastern View

Most summiters of Mount Margaret view the peak as a side-trip rather than a main objective. Most hikers hike around the peak to get to nearby lakes, such as Margaret Lake, Twin Lakes, Lake Laura, and Lake Lillian. Despite maintained and highly used trails to those lakes, there is at least one easy-to-follow trail leading north along the summit ridge, past a couple of false summits/viewpoints, to the true summit. Another false summit, which might have some of the best views of the ridgeline, can possibly be attained further northeast of the true summit by following the ridgeline. However, steep slopes and a knife-edge-like section make the traverse slightly more technical. With that said, hiking to the true summit of Mount Margaret is a non-technical, YDS Class 1, ascent.

Getting There

From Snoqualmie Pass:

1) Head east to the "Hyak" Exit 54.

2) Turn north, pass under the freeway, and the road winds to the right (east/southeast). This is Forest Road 4832.

3) Follow Forest Road 4832 until a "Y" intersection. Veer onto the left road, which is Forest Road 4934.

4) Follow Forest Road 4934 until a switchback containing the parking area for Mount Margaret/ Margaret Lake. Park there.

5) Walk approximately 100 yards up the main road (FR 4934) until reaching the trailhead on the left side of the main road.

See Route page for further details regarding the Mount Margaret Trail.

Red Tape

No permits are currently required.

A trail register is located at the parking area.

Camping

Backcountry camping is allowed in the area. However, no camping is officially allowed near the lakes surrounding the mountain, as "Alpine Lakes Wilderness" rules and restrictions apply.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.