Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.66956°N / 1.38582°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 10082 ft / 3073 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Sotllo

Sotllo is the second most important peak in the area of Pica d’Estats (3144m) because the Puerto de Sotllo, between both mountains, individualizes this summit. From the distance it's a very interesting mountain, always present in the normal route of Pica d’Estats from the South across the ravine of Sotllo. It's climbed normally in the same day of Pica d’Estats if remain forces and the landscape from the summit is probably the best of the area with nice view of the ridge Verdaguer-Pica d’Estats. The route is not very difficult but the ramp of West face has a lot of stones and it's a little bit hard.
The peak has the name Sotllo in Catalunya (Spain) and Sullo in Ariège (France). In some maps appears as Pico del Port de Sotllo / Pic du Port de Sullo but it's a less popular denomination.

Getting There

Sotllo
Rules of the Park

*ROAD ACCESS:
From Spain, drive to Lleida in the first place. Your most likely entrance points to the spanish territory will be Madrid or Barcelona, and highway AP-2 shall be the easiest way to reach Lleida frome any one of them. After Lleida, drive north along road C13 towards Andorra. About 3km after Balaguer, you will have to take a turn left (north) towards Tremp, La Pobla de Segur and Llavorsí. Turn right at this last village to follow road L504 towards Alins and (shortly afterwards) road L510 to Areu. After Areu the road turns nasty, badly conserved, but four-wheel drives should be able to make it up to the parking area of La Molinassa (after 11 km). If you find you can't, the car can stay at the parking area of La Farga (about 5 to 6 km after Areu). Bear in mind that you will have to walk for about two hours before you reach the Vallferrera hut if you choose to leave the car at this last spot.
If, whatever the reason, you can't drive all the way up to the Vallferrera. Alsina Graells is the bus company serving these valleys from Lleida or Barcelona. Line 413 goes from Barcelona to Pont de Rei and line 417 goes from Lleida to Esterri. Both of them have a stop at Llavorsí. As far as I know, there is no bus service up to Alins or Areu.

From France, no matter where you start from, the first thing to do is reach Toulouse. Afterwards, you have to take highway A61 towards Carcassonne and take the exit for highway A66 to get to the southern town of Foix. After that, get going to Tarascon sur Ariège (road N20-E9), and turn right towards Vicdessos (road D108), Mounicou (through the Forêt d'Auzat, via road D108) and take a final drive to L'Artigue by road D66. Leave the car at L'Artigue to start walking towards the Réfuge de Pinet.

*TRAIN ACCESS
: From Spain, the closest major train station is placed at Lleida. That means 163 km left to go north afterwards, you will have to seek additional transport. Alsina Graells is the company serving the line from Lleida to Esterri, stopping at Llavorsí. Check the RENFE (spanish railways) web site for ideas on timetables to Lleida.
From the french side of the border, the closest SNCF stations are placed at Foix and Tarascon sur Ariège. Will keep looking for a way to get to L'Artigue from Tarascon, please call back in for further information.

*CLOSER SPANISH AIRPORTS
: Barcelona (262 km). Bus line Rapid Aeroport (operated by ALSA) takes you to Lleida twice a day, directly. Another option is to take the Directbus from Terminal B to the train station of Sants.

*CLOSER FRENCH AIRPORTS: Toulouse (130 km), Pau (239 km).

Thanks to eza for the information.

Red Tape

Sotllo (3.073m)

The spanish (south) side of the mountain is part of the Parc Natural de l'Alt Pirineu, administrated by the regional government (Generalitat) of Catalonia. It is therefore subjected to special rules.

Camping

Estany Sotllo & Pica
Camping in Estany de SotlloEstany de Sotllo
[img:534960:alignleft:small:Estany de Sotllo]
Refuges:
-Spain: Refugio Valferrera

-France: Refuge de Pinet

Camping:
Free camping is strictly forbidden anywhere in the Spanish Park, but tolerated if you place your tent over 2000 meters above sea level after 8 p.m. (and bring it down before 8 a.m.!). A very good place to camp is the Estany de Sotllo with a lot of green plateaus to put the tent. Another option es the Estany d'Estats.

External Links

Pirineos 3000 text in Spanish with map of the route and some images.

Komandokroketa text in Spanish with nice images of climb with ski on the snow.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

 
 
3000'ers of the PyreneesMountains & Rocks