Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.90410°N / 123.1639°W
Additional Information County: Clallam
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 6120 ft / 1865 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Green RocksGreen Rock Formations Near The Summit
Brecciated Pillow Basalt Conglomerate


Starting Elevation:3600 feet
Summit Elevation: 6090 feet
Total Gain: 2490 feet
Round Trip Distance: 6 miles

Peak B is located on the northern side of Gray Wolf Ridge wich is flanked on the northwest side by the Gray Wolf River and on the southeast side by the Dungeness. Between Baldy and Tyler Peak, Peak B also shares the ridge with Maynard Peak to the north and Gray Wolf, Mount Walkinshaw, Mount Clark, The Needles, and Mount Deception to the south. Although one of the less prominent high points along the ridge, what makes Peak B interesting is the highly unusual nature of the rocks near the summit.

These rocks, which are are uncharacteristically solid for being found in the Olympics, likely consist of oceanic formed brecciated pillow basalt, intermixed with volcaniclastic siltstone and sandstone. There are a large number a possible scramble routes to the summit. Once attaining the ridge top, it might be worth exploring the formations on more than one side of the summit. Views of Mount Constance, Warrior Peak, Mount Deception, and The Needles are striking.

The Route



This route begins in the Olympic National Park and crosses over into the Buckhorn Wilderness. Park at the upper Maynard Burn trail head parking area. Rather than proceeding beyond the dirt blockade, follow the faint path that cuts immediately up and to the right. For the first mile the path ascends steeply in a northwesterly direction with few switchbacks. The second mile begins with a gradual leveling of and the occasional loss of a couple vertical feet. There will be a small trickle of a stream crossing. Be careful to remember where you crossed because the path becomes sporadic after this point. Ascend north climbing scree slopes and grass until you reach the upper alpine meadows. For most of the last mile, the strange formations that make up the summit should be visible.
Deception and The Needles

Getting There

Above Royal Creek Drainage


From the Hood Canal bridge drive west 13.5 miles to Highway 101. Turn right (north) and follow 101 for 16 miles to the turn off on the left for Louella Road. After one mile, turn left at the T onto Palo Alto Road and proceed for another 6 miles. Bear right at the junction marked as Forrest Road 2880. The road descends steeply to a crossing of the Dungeness River. A mile beyond the river crossing proceed left onto Forrest Road 2870 and continue to follow signs for 2870, bearing right at the next fork in 2.6 miles. After the last fork continue for 6.5 miles to a wide parking area and dirt barrier blocking the road. Watch for fallen rocks laying in this last stretch of the road.

Contact Information:
Quilcene Ranger Station
360-765-2200

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.