Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.27760°N / 119.05386°W
Additional Information County: Fresno
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10643 ft / 3244 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Givens is located northeast of Huntington Lake, CA. It is considered an easy class 1 day hike by many in the area. During the summer months it is not uncommon to have at least 3-5 parties per week visit the summit for its great 360 degree view. The view spans from southern Yosemite to far off Mt. Whitney in Sequoia National Park. Mount Givens itself is located in the Sierra National Forest just north of the Dinkey Lakes Wilderness Area and east of the Kaiser Peak Wilderness Area.

Givens Topo

Getting There

Take highway 168 east from Fresno, CA towards Shaver & Huntington Lake, CA. Huntington Lake is appx. 1 hour and 15 minutes from Fresno. Reaching Huntington Lake turn right on the Kaiser Pass Road towards Edison and Florence Lakes. Continue up to the pass which is about 5 miles and halfway turns into a single lane paved road. At the pass is a dirt road off the right climbing further up the ridge. Follow this road to the White Bark Vista Point. This road is only recommended for high clearance vehicles; continue at your own risk. You may choose to park at the pass and start your hike from here. Follow the road ¾ mile up the road to the vista point. A stunning view of the Sierra crest is had here as well as Mount Givens.
At the White Bark Vista Point is the start of the Dusy-Ershim OHV Route. Follow this route for a 1 & ¾ miles to the base of Mount Givens. This route is rated “Most Difficult” for OHV. Hiking it, one can see why!
Upon reaching a meadow at 10,000ft turn left and head up the west ridge slope of Mount Givens. Appx. 700’ of class 1 climbing awaits you. The grade towards the top mellows out and the summit is marked with a solar panel connected to god knows what.

Summit Register is a jar wrapped in duct tape very near the top.

Red Tape

None, the Sierra National Forest does not require permits in this area for day hikes or overnight camping.

Camping

Anywhere.

External Links

DUSY-ERSHIM OHV ROUTE

Useless info...

There is a cell/microwave tower at the White Bark Vista point, thus full bar coverage on the route to Mount Givens.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.