Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.75035°N / 118.47944°W
Additional Information County: KERN
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 6835 ft / 2083 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The hike to Split Mountain (7428') is 8.2 miles round trip with an elevation gain of 3300' depending on your route. The most direct path is to park at the same place as you would if you were climbing Black Mountain which is at the Black Mountain Saddle. You climb up the old logging road as if you were doing Black Mountain and continue on the road East until you reach the little valley where it levels off. At this point instead of climbing Black Mountain you circumvent Northeast around the base. When you reach the other side of Black Mountain there is a long ridgeline that undulates.
Split MountainThis is a picture from the ridgeline leading to Split Mountain. 11-29-2008

You want to get on the major ridge where you will find an unmaintained but ducked trail. You will see Split Mountain (6835') to the East as you hike on the trail up and down each of the bumps. The last section is a steep dip in the ridge followed by a steeper climb (about 1000') to the summit.

Many people also climb to Black Mountain on the way as it is on the way.


Split MountainThis is a picture of Lake Isabella and the summit of Split Mountain. 11-29-2008.

Getting There

From Wofford Heights take SR 155, 7.7 miles to Greenhorn Summit.

~I-5 North to Bakersfield, exit 178 east. Go to Lake Isabella and exit on SR155, follow signs to Wofford Heights.

~From Ridgecrest, Hwy 14 to 178 west, follow signs to Kernville, then go west on 155 to Wofford Heights.

~From 99 southbound, take 155 east to Greenhorn Summit, turn left on 24S15.

~It is also possible to take Rancheria Road from Highway 178 in Rio Bravo near Bakersfield though it is a dirt road for much of the way.

Take FSR 24S15 past the sand shed for 3 miles. Here you will come to a junction where you turn right to follow the sign pointing to Black Mountain Saddle 2 miles. You drive 2 miles on road FSR 25S16 and park at the Black Mountain saddle where there is a junction of roads (25S16,26S20). You can see the old logging road from the parking area.


View Larger Map

Red Tape

This is not a wilderness area, so permits are not required.

Greenhorn Ranger District
4875 Ponderosa Drive
P.O. Box 3810
Lake Isabella, CA 93240
(760) 379-5646

Tule River Ranger District
32588 Highway 190
Springville, CA 93265
(559) 539-2607

Camping

Evans Flat, Alder Creek, Rancheria Rd. & Cedar Creek.

Camping & other lodging is also available in nearby Lake Isabella, Kernville, and Wofford Heights.

External Links

Weather from the National Weather Service

Webcams

Lake Isabella Online

Seasons & Conditions

Season: The normal route via road 21S15 is closed during winter, so access from there is May through October.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Greenhorn SummitMountains & Rocks