Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.83197°N / 118.57636°W
Additional Information County: KERN
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 8024 ft / 2446 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Bull Run Peak is located in the Kern River Valley on the Greenhorn Summit, and it is on the same ridgeline and between Tobias Peak/Lookout & Panorama Peak. This hike is 2 miles long with an elevation gain of 500 feet. The easiest thing to do is to go back South down the road from the parking area, and then start climbing when you are back under the trees.

Bull Run Peak 05-25-2009I took this picture on May 25th, 2009 at the beginning of my third ascent of Bull Run Peak (8024'). This is right next to the parking area. I was walking South to get into the trees to avoid the bushwhacking.

Bull Run Peak 05-25-2009I took this picture on May 25th, 2009 during my third ascent of Bull Run Peak (8024')


After you are in the trees head Southwest and up for about 1/2 miles. At that point turn directly West and climb up to the ridge. If you are in heavy bushwhacking then you turned West too soon and you need to traverse South a little bit. It is possible to gain the ridge with barely any or no bushwhacking in the Manzanita. Once you gain the ridge search for the ducked trail that heads South along the ridge. Once you find the trail don't lose it as it will very reliably lead you to the peak.

Once you get to the top of the ridge there is a spot on the West side of the summit that you can peer out of the trees at. The register can is in some rocks near the trail closer to the East side of the summit.

Bull Run Peak 05-25-2009Notice the trail through the Manzanita. It is worth taking the time to search for at the top of the ridge.

Bull Run Peak 2008-08-09This is the summit of Bull Run Peak (8024'). I took this picture during my first ascent on August 9th, 2009.


Getting back down is pretty fast. Take the trail back North and then go down the mountain and NNE to the car.

Getting There

From Wofford Heights take SR 155, 7.7 miles to Greenhorn Summit.

~I-5 North to Bakersfield, exit 178 east. Go to Lake Isabella and exit on SR155, follow signs to Wofford Heights.

~From Ridgecrest, Hwy 14 to 178 west, follow signs to Kernville, then go west on 155 to Wofford Heights.

~From 99 southbound, take 155 east to Greenhorn Summit, turn left on 24S15.

~It is also possible to take Rancheria Road from Highway 178 in Rio Bravo near Bakersfield though it is a dirt road for much of the way.

Take FSR 24S15 North past the sand shed. The road will dead-end into paved road 23S16 where you turn right. As you drive keep looking left for a fork, and when you see it take the left fork 24S50. Drive 1.0 +/- .1 miles to the top of Bull Run Pass where you will see a place to park on your right (7645').


View Larger Map

Red Tape

This is not a wilderness area, so permits are not required.

Greenhorn Ranger District
4875 Ponderosa Drive
P.O. Box 3810
Lake Isabella, CA 93240
(760) 379-5646

Tule River Ranger District
32588 Highway 190
Springville, CA 93265
(559) 539-2607

Camping

Evans Flat, Alder Creek, Rancheria Rd., Frog Meadow, Panorama Campground, & Cedar Creek.

Camping & other lodging is also available in nearby Lake Isabella, Kernville, and Wofford Heights.

The closest campground would be Panorama, or Frog Meadow.

External Links

Weather from the National Weather Service

Webcams

Lake Isabella Online

Seasons & Conditions

Season: The normal route via road 21S15 is closed during winter, so access is normally limited to May through October.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Greenhorn SummitMountains & Rocks