Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.94698°N / 121.60423°W
Additional Information County: Pierce
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7070 ft / 2155 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Rainier over the PalisadesMount Rainier over the Palisades
The  Palisades  from the summit Palisades Rock Formations from the Summit
The Palisades are a cliffy group of peaks located in the Sourdough Mountains in the northeast section of Mount Rainier National Park. They derive their name from the distinctive cliffs of columnar andesite which grace their flanks. Columnar andesite forms when extrusive lava flows cool slowly, creating hexagonal column formations.

The Palisades are located in an interesting area of Mount Rainier National Park, the dry northeast side near the Sunrise Lodge. As you hike to the Palisades, you will pass through a valley containing at least five subalpine lakes and several streams. Some of the great appeal of this area is the ability to cool off with a nice dip in a lake after a hot day in the mountains. The area is fairly marshy too, so in season, make sure to bring insect repellant.

An ascent of the Palisades can be combined with climbs of both Brown Peak to its northeast or Marcus and even Dege Peak to its south. While views of Mount Rainier are limited when approaching the peak on the Palisades Trail, once on top of the ridge, dozens of peaks including Mount Rainier become visible. The Palisades are climbed very infrequently, at least judged by the summit register. Our party was only the first ascent since March of this year, and the second this entire year.

This is a fun, moderate scramble in a high, dry area of Mount Rainier National Park.

Getting There

Clover LakeClover Lake along the Palisades Trail
Marcus Peak and The Palisades Marcus (left) and the Palisades (right) from Sunrise Point
The Palisades from the Palisades TrailThe Palisades from the Palisades Trail
The Northeast Ridge of The PalisadesNortheast Ridge of the Palisades
Dry Lake Bed in the North BasinDry Lake Basin between North and Northeast Ridges
Climbing the North RidgeFinal approach on North Ridge of the Palisades
Drive SR-410 southeast from south of Seattle, heading through the towns of Enumclaw and into the Northeast gate of Mount Rainier National Park. In about five miles after the park entrance, find the turn-off to the White River Road. Pass through the Guard Station at the White River Road, and continue another 10.5 miles to a sharp bend in the road at 6100 feet. This is Sunrise Point. Park here in the large parking lot.

Find the trailhead of the Palisades Trail at the northeast corner of the parking area, and start your discouraging descent, losing 300 feet to Sunrise Lake in 1/2 mile. In another mile, reach pretty Clover Lake, as the trail makes inefficient ups and downs, losing elevation as quickly as it gains it. Another mile takes you past Dicks Lake (and camps), and finally, the trail reaches its highpoint at a pass betweeen the Palisades to the Southwest and Brown Peak to the Northeast. This is 3.5 miles from the Sunrise Point trailhead. The great cliffy basin of the Palisades are a very impressive sight from here. Leave the trail here, heading to the Northeast Ridge of the Palisades. Climb through meadows, then up talus to the nose of the ridge, climbing about 500 feet to the ridge-top. Cross over to the west side of the ridge, traversing south to a basin. This basin contains a small tarn during most of the year, but this tarn also can dry completely out.

Cross across this basin to the North Ridge of the Palisades. Climb south through stunted, dwarf sub-alpine trees and finally on rock to the summit of the Palisades.

An ascent of the Palisades can also be made from the saddle betweeen Marcus Peak and the Palisades. Leave the Palisades Trail near Dicks Lake on the trail to Hidden Lake. The climb to Hidden Lake is on good trail and reaches the lake in about 1/2 mile and about 400 feet of elevation gain. Reach the far end of Hidden Lake and find an unmaintained trail climbing to the saddle between Marcus and the Palisades. At the saddle, head north, climbing through trees to reach the summit of the Palisades.

The climb from the Northeast is a much more aesthetic climb which allows views of the Palisades rock formation. A loop trip, and combining an ascent of the Palisades with Brown Peak and Marcus Peak is also possible. Trip Stats: 9 miles roundtrip. Elevation gain: 3,300 feet with ups and downs. Difficulty: Class 2 and navigational challenges.

Red Tape and Camping

Hidden LakeHidden Lake from the Saddle between the Palisades and Marcus
Marcus Peak and Green ParkMarcus and Green Park from the Palisades
A fee of $15 per vehicle is required to enter Mount Rainier National Park. An Interagency Pass ($80/year) is also available that will grant unlimited access to all US National Parks and trailhead parking at all US Forest Service trailheads for one year. Once within the park, there are no other permits required for day-hiking in the area. If you are camping, camping permits are required and available at the White River Guard Station. They are free of charge.

The Park Service, in its infinite wisdom, has established campsites a Dicks Lake and Upper Palisades Lake. Of course, these are the buggiest, swampiest, holes along the entire trail. Camping is not permitted at the beautiful Hidden Lake or at Clover Lake. That's our Park Service for you. Bring lots of bug repellant.

External Links

The Palisades from Hidden LakeThe Palisades from Hidden Lake
Palisades RouteTOPO! Software Image
For information including road closures and camping restrictions, you can contact Mount Rainier National Park at: Mt. Rainier National Park

Another great site is this excellent Mt. Rainier climbing blog, which gives up-to-date snowpack and road conditions on Mt. Rainier and the all of the roads: Mt. Rainier Climbing Page


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.