Mount Patterson and Nisa Mountain

Mount Patterson and Nisa Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.30072°N / 105.78748°W
Additional Information County: Grand
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11424 ft / 3482 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The summit cairn of Mount PattersonThe summit cairn of Mt Patterson.

Mount Patterson and Nisa Mountain are two peaks which lie in the west side of Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado. They sit in between Tonahutu Creek (to the northwest) and North Inlet (to the southeast). Nisa Mountain is actually just a bump along Mount Patterson's southwest ridge. Like virtually every peak in RMNP, no trails reach the summit of these peaks. Seclusion is virtually guaranteed.

The coordinates and elevation shown on this page are for Mount Patterson (the higher of the two peaks). The coordinates of Nisa Mountain are 40.288783°N / 105.798683°W. Its elevation is 10,788 ft (3288 m). Nisa Mountain lies 1.0 mile to the southwest of Mount Patterson.

Mount Patterson is ranked as the 94th tallest named peak out of 126 on Mountain Jim's Summits of Rocky Mountain National Park List. Nisa Mountain is ranked 105th on that same list. Mount Patterson is ranked 68th on Gerry Roach's Rocky Mountain National Park Summits List. Mount Patterson has 604 feet of prominence over the saddle between it and its parent peak, Snowdrift Peak 2.4 miles to the east. Nisa Mountain is unranked on that list because it has only 128 feet of prominence over the saddle between it and Mount Patterson.

The summit of Nisa Mountain is mostly forested so views are limited. However, Mount Patterson has a nice bald summit providing fantastic views in all directions. Highlights include the peaks of the Continental Divide from Mount Ida to Mount Alice and the entire Never Summer Mountains range.

Getting There

The easiest approach to Green Mountain involves starting at the Green Mountain Trailhead.

Red Tape

Green Mountain is within Rocky Mountain National Park. Daily as well as annual passes are available.

Camping

Several campgrounds are available in the Park, some of which allow reservations. Backcountry camping is allowed in the Park in pre-defined backcountry campsites. Reservations are recommended, as some backcountry sites become reserved for the entire summer by March.

Seasons

Mount Patterson and Nisa Mountain can be ascended in all seasons.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.