Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.07963°N / 120.56783°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 8243 ft / 2512 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pyramid Mountain



Pyramid Mountain, located on the western side of Lake Chelan, is amongst the more popular summits in a region with very few popular summits. At over 8200 feet, it is a very worthy destination and a wonderful summit to attain. The summit itself is home to stellar views of hundreds and hundreds of other Cascades including Mount Rainier, Mount Stuart, Glacier Peak, Mount Maude and Seven Fingered Jack. To be honest, I think it is one of the most beautiful views I have seen period.

Cloudcomb Peak



To reach this summit you must be willing to endure an 18-mile roundtrip hike that goes up 3000 cumulative feet and down 1200 cumulative feet. That being said the trail is completely a simple walk up when snow free (August and September) and has no steep angles or exposure, which is very rare for Washington State. On average it should take 5-10 hours (5-7 in shape and avid hiker) (8-10 moderate hiker) to complete loop hike. The trail itself side traverses two other named peaks in Crow Hill and Graham Mountain. Each are attainable via simple off trail bushwhacks. The two trails that should be followed are Trail 1433 (6 miles) and Trail 1441 (3 miles). Both are presently in very good shape and trail crews are actually improving them as this page is being written. If you are willing to endure some ups and down on your hike, I can't think of better summit to go to during August and September.

Summit views

 

Nearing the summit of Pyramid Mountain



Here are some other notes about this amazing summit. First there is actually a camping area on the summit, which is home to amazing 360-degree views. Also the trailhead here starts off very high at 6500 feet so it is weather exposed. Watch your weather forecast and snowline forecast. Also this mountain is best to be attempted in August and September where the trailhead is completely melted out. Going earlier makes you risk making this a much longer journey that the already 18 miles and 4200 of cumulative elevation gain you will already have to go through. Also there are plenty of larches here, which make a hike here in late September and early October more than ideal

I will say this, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS SUMMIT FOR ITS OUTSTANDING VIEWS!! It is clearly a special destination and there is a good chance you with have the summit if not the whole trail to yourselves. Rarely in this state will you see such a well-paced trail to a summit, which receives little traffic and has this incredible of views. This rare combination makes summit truly special.

Getting There

VIA THE PYRAMID MOUNTAIN TRAILHEAD: Starting from the city of Wenatchee you want to head up U.S. 97 to the town of Entiat. You want to make a left on the Entiat River road and take it 28 miles. Make a right on Forest Road 5900 and take it up 8.5 up to the top of ridge to an area called Shady Pass once up continue until you run into Service Road 112 which is a very rough service road. Take that road to the very end where the Pyramid Trail starts.

Red Tape

No red tape except to note that this is bear country. Though I came up in a normal car, I would highly racommend going to this trailhead in a 4 by 4 truck. The last bit of road to the trailhead is extremely rough.

Camping

Camping is available here on the summit. I would really though make sure you know the weather before you camp for the night there. At 8243 with not to many other high mountains close to you, you make a great target for lightning strikes.

Weather and External Links

Here is the best link to weather and conditions in this region at this elevation

Here is a link to the best trip reports on Pyramid Mountain and other hikes in the Cascades

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Klenke

Klenke - Aug 23, 2019 8:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Spur 112

FYI it looks like the final road that goes north of Shady Pass is Spur 112 not 113. Minor edit. Edit applies to main page and route page.

EastKing

EastKing - Aug 23, 2019 9:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Spur 112

Awesome l! Thanks for noting this. I corrected the page.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.