Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.33604°N / 74.03223°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 3861 ft / 1177 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

McKenzie mountain is located next to Lake Placid in the Wilderness area that bears it's name. The views from the ledges on the wooded summit are fantastic. This mountain can be combined with a climb up nearby Moose Mtn. McKenzie is the 55th highest peak in the Adirondack 100 Highest.

Getting There

Trail Markers
There are 3 main approaches to this peak. There is a state trail from Rte 86 in Ray Brook, NY which leads 5.3 Miles to the summit. Another approach is from Whiteface Inn Rd (CR 31) in Lake Placid, which uses the Jackrabbit ski trail to access the mountain in 3.6 miles. UPDATE 2012: The third approach the SOA Lake Trail from Chipmunk Lane/Whiteface Inn Rd is now closed to the public. There is also an SOA trail that follows the ridge for 3 miles from McKenzie Mtn to nearby Moose Mtn. for a two peak climb. Be aware that the approach from Whiteface Inn Rd after you turn off the Jackrabbit ski trail is overgrown, steep and includes some tricky scrambling (I also counted about 6 different trail markers along this trip!)

Red Tape

The eastern flank of the mountain down to lake placid is private lands, the trails in this area, and along the ridge are maintained by the SOA (Shore Owners Association).

Camping

Placid Lean-to
Normal DEC camping regulations apply. There is the Placid lean-to along the Jackrabbit trail. There are other camping opportunities at Bartlett Pond and Loch Bonnie on Moose Mtn, just be aware ther is no camping on private lands in the area.

External Links

Mckenzie Mtn Trip Report
Peakbagger
S.O.A. Trail Map & Book
Wikipedia