Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.05445°N / 120.651°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 7819 ft / 2383 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Duncan Hill


Dunkin Hill, which is in no respect a hill by any meaning of the word, is yet another amazing destination, which few people in Washington State, knows about. Located near the Entiat River Valley located between Carne Mountain and Pyramid Mountain, this special summit is home to great 360-degree summit views. This peak is a great peak to get solitude on as only a couple people a week head to the summit of this 7819-foot peak. Though the summit area at first looks like a double summit, the south summit where the trail goes to be actually 11 feet higher then the north summit. Both though have good views.

Views from the top


The YDS Class 1 Duncan Ridge Trail route up to the summit is best to be done in summer when the peak has little or no snow on it. Though the total trip is a little over 13.5 miles and 3300 feet of elevation gain, this path is not rough at all and like neighboring Pyramid Peak, it can be done in a fairly quick time. I personally only hike at an average rate and summited this peak in slightly under two hours. The big reason is the high starting elevation of the trailhead. At 5050 feet this starting trailhead give quiet an advantage in reaching the summit. In winter this peak is snowed in and is much more difficult. The trip up here can be quiet a journey and ice axes are required. Therefore this summit is not recommended in winter or spring (November through late June-early July).


Views from the top


As for the views they are terrific. Towards the east lie Pyramid Mountain, Crow Hill and Graham Mountain. To the north is Cardinal Peak and Saska Peak. Towards the northwest lies Glacier Peak Mount Maude and Seven Fingered Jack. To the south lies Mount Stewart and Rainier (though covered my smoke on the day I climbed up Duncan Hill. Like Pyramid Mountain hundreds of other summits can be seen from Duncan Hill. Clearly one of the best views for the relatively little effort needed to summit Duncan Hill.

Larches

Getting There

VIA THE DUNCAN RIDGE TRAILHEAD: Starting from the city of Wenatchee you want to head up U.S. 97 to the town of Entiat. You want to make a left on the Entiat River road and take it 34 miles. Make a right on Forest Road 5608 and take it up 6 miles to the second Y intersection in the road. Make a left at the second Y intersection and the trail will be on your right 100 yards after the intersection. The road is doable in a normal car, however is much more pleasant in a four wheel drive vehicle.

Red Tape

No NW forest pass needed here.

Camping

Though there is no formal camping here on the Duncan Ridge trail. THere are plenty of spaces for backcountry camping. Many people even like to camp at the top of this mountain. If you do though just keep a good eye out on the weather here.

Weather and External Links

Here is the best link to weather and conditions in this region at this elevation

Here is a link to the best trip reports on Duncan Hill and other hikes in the Cascades

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.