Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.97100°N / 114.6025°W
Additional Information County: White Pine
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10023 ft / 3055 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

wild horses and Becky PeakWild Horses with Becky Peak.





Becky Peak lays at the most northern end of the Schell Creek Range in White Pine County, Nevada. This seldom climbed peak comes in at number 111 on the Nevada Prominence List. Driving south on Alt HWY 93 from Wendover one can see Becky Peak majestically rise once you pass White Horse Pass to the Southwest. The mountain consists of two summit humps, with the southern one being slightly higher. The 360 degree views from the summit are breath taking. On a clear day one can easily see the Cherry Creek Range to the west, the Schell Creek range including the crest of the Schell Creek Range, Great Basin National Park with Wheeler Peak, and Ibapah Peak to the East in Utah.

With a good high clearance vehicle one can drive up to about 8,950 feet on the Northeast side of the peak. If you don’t have a high clearance vehicle one could park on the west side of the peak, taking a dirt road on the East side of HWY 93. This would require between 2000-4000 feet of elevation gain depending on where you park to reach the summit.

Be aware that Becky Peak is out in the Nevada desert. The closest place to buy gas and food is McGill, NV which is about 40 miles to the south. If you are driving from the North, your last stop would be Wendover, UT/West Wendover, NV. Be sure to have plenty of water and food. You might not get a cell phone signal out here either.

Getting There



These directions are for hiking Becky Peak from the East Northeast. A High Clearance vehicle is highly suggested.

From Ely, NV

Drive North on HWY 93 for approx 39.1 miles

From Here, follow the GPS Coordinates in the table below and reset your Odometer.


WPTDirectionsLatitudeLongitude Distance to Drive (mi)
WPT 1Turn Right onto SR-2 [CR-18]39°47'42.9"N 114°43'57.2"W 10.8
WPT 2Turn Left (North)39°49'34.7"N 114°33'41.0"W 7.5; 10.8 miles from HWY 93

WPT 3
Turn Left (West) into Box Canyon 39°56'57.2"N 114°34'02.3"W 5.6; 18.3 miles from HWY 93
WPT 4Park39° 58.4030'N 114° 35.2646'W 23.9 miles from HWY 93



From Salt Lake City, UT

  • Head West on I-80 for Approx 120 miles to West Wendover, NV
  • At exit 410, turn Left onto Ramp for 0.3 miles
  • Turn Left (South) onto US-93 Alt for 0.2 miles
  • Turn Left (East) onto US-93 Alt [Wendover Blvd]
  • Turn Right (South) onto US-Alt 93 for 54.7 miles
  • Just before this turn you’ll cross into White Pine County.

    From Here, follow the GPS Coordinates in the table below and reset your Odometer.


    WPTDirectionsLatitudeLongitude Distance to Drive (mi)
    WPT 1Turn Left off of Alt HWY 9340° 6.281'N 114° 114° 33.134'W 9.0
    WPT 2Turn Right39°59'07.3"N 114°30'57.1"W 1.9; 9.0 miles from Alt HWY 93

    WPT 3
    Turn right at Fork 39°59'31.4"N 114°32'53.3"W 4.5; 10.9 miles from Alt HWY 93
    WPT 4Park39°58'24.2"N 114°35'15.9"W 15.4 miles from Alt HWY 93





    Cattle GuardCattle Guard you encounter via Salt Lake directions

    Routes



    The shortest route is approximately 1 mile (2 miles round trip) with about 1,070 feet of net elevation gain from the East NE. For a more detailed description follow this route.

    3D view of Route

    Red Tape/Camping

    None. There are no concessions (i.e., no gas, lodging, food, campgrounds) on the Wildlife Refuge. Camping is permitted anywhere within 100 feet of a designated road as long is it is not within 1/4 mile of a water source. Campfires are permitted using dead wood. Note though, that Becky Peak lies within Becky Peak Wilderness.


    Cherry Creek RangeCherry Creek Range

    When to Climb

    Becky Peak can be climbed year round. Climbing during the snow season (November-May) may require a lot more effort.

    Becky Bristlecone of yesteryear

    Summit Shots

    External Links

  • Becky Peak Wilderness
  • BLM Page on Becky Peak.

    Click for McGill, Nevada Forecast

  • Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.