Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.42762°N / 120.89149°W
Additional Information County: Kittitas & Chelan
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 6917 ft / 2108 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Bill's Peak is one of many fun non technical scramble summits in the Teanaway Valley. It is the high point of a ridge that runs north to Ingalls Creek and south to Fourth Creek Pass. To the west across Beverly-Turnpike Pass is Teanaway Peak. Sitting right above Ingalls Creek, Bill's has one of the best views of the Stuart Range. Bill is not the official USGS name. It was named for Bill Prater a farmer, climber, and snowshoe maker from nearby Ellensburg, WA. In my experience it is one of the least visited peaks in the Teanaway area. Nearby Mary, Judi, Bean, Earl, Teanaway,and Iron all have more visitors. A climb of Bill's can be combined with several of those others in a day. Via Beverly Creek it is 8 miles RT with 3300' of elevation gain. To the south, tucked under the ridge of Bean and Mary Peaks are larch trees which turn golden in the fall. From Fourth Creek Pass there is some grass and scree. It can be easier to ascend on snow. Much easier on the knees to glissade down to the pass.



Getting There

From Interstate 90 take exit 85 to Highway 970. After about 5 miles cross the Teanaway River and turn left on the Teanaway Road. Continue 13 miles to the end of pavement just after 29 Pines Campground. Take the right fork. Continue straight at the Stafford Creek Road in 1.1 miles. Turn right on the Beverly Creek Road just before the bridge after 4 miles. Continue to the end of road parking lot in another 1 1/2 miles.


Route

The standard route crosses Beverly Creek at the start and reaches Bean Creek in 1/2 mile. Bean can be a torrent in the spring but an easy rock hop in the summer and fall. Cross creek avoiding trail on your right to Bean Creek Basin. The route climbs gently through fir and pine forest before breaking out into the lower basin. On snow follow the creek. The trail is longer as it makes several switchbacks before heading straight up the valley. At about 3 miles reach the junction with the County Line Trail heading uphill right to Fourth Creek Pass. At the pass the trail splits. Left down to Ingalls Creek and right on the County Line Trail heading east. Leave the trail here and quickly reach the slope heading directly up Bill' Peak. The slope is open grass and scree. At the ridge the grade lessens. Easiest access to the summit is up a grass gully under the summit or just to the north.

When To Climb

The road to the Beverly trailhead is usually snow free by late May. The road to the Guard Station melts out 3 or 4 weeks earlier and adds about 2 1/2 miles or road walking each way. Spring is best for a snow scramble and late June - October should be snow free.

Red Tape

A Northwest Forest Pass is required to park at the trailhead. They are $30/year or $5.00/day. Free self service Alpine Wilderness permits are available at the trailhead. The Wilderness boundary goes through the summit of Bill's Peak and Fourth Creek Pass so you do enter the edge of the wilderness.

Camping

There is plenty of car camping in the Teanaway Valley with campgrounds at 29 Pines, Beverly Creek, and DeRoux Creek plus many smaller spots along the river. If backpacking, there are several campsites near the Beverly Creek-County Line trail junction. Beverly Creek has water year round.

External Links

National Weather Service Spot Forecast

Cle Elum Cam Looks toward Bill's Peak

Cle Elum Ranger Station
West 2nd Street
Cle Elum, Wa 98922
(509) 674-4411

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.