Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.64354°N / 105.18444°W
Additional Information County: Jefferson
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6473 ft / 1973 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Mount Glennon Overview

Ridge along the Mount Glennon summit
Ridge along the Mount Glennon summit
Mount Glennon is one of the nine Hogbacks, which are located directly west of Denver. People consider the Hogbacks to be where the Rocky Mountains start, in the Front Range of Colorado. Also, it is conveniently located less than five miles from the famous Red Rocks Park and Amphitheater and from its summit, Mount Morrison appears to be towering over the geological wonder. Also, a clear view of Denver and its huge suburbs can be seen from the summit. Civilization has built itself around these Hogbacks, but they still stand out and act as a very important landmark in the Front Range. Mount Glennon is no different than the rest of the Hogbacks. While on your way to the summit, you spot very old rock with ripple-marks and many layers can be seen from its saddle with Dinosaur Ridge and Unnamed 6262 (both Hogbacks). The mountain is also marked with many small dinosaur remnants, however they do not compare to the large dinosaur footprints that are found halfway up Dinosaur Ridge. As you drive along US 470, you look directly up Mount Glennon and see that its slope appears to be around a class 1. Don't be fooled, the mountain contains very dangerous terrain and if you plan on reaching the summit, you must be prepared to climb across some class 2+ pitches.

In-depth Details

Here are more details: 
Ridge to summit
Ridge to the summit of Mount Glennon


Elevation: 6,473 ft.
CO Peak Rank: 4249

Range: Front
Counties: Jefferson

Quadrangle: Morrison
Coordinates: 39.6436°N, -105.1845°W

Prominence: 413'
Saddle: 6,060 ft.

Proximate Parent: Mount Morrison
Line Parent: Mount Falcon
Isolation: 2.60 miles

YDS Class Rating: 2+

Climbers Log

Getting There

Driving to Mount Glennon on US 470
Driving to Mount Glennon
From Denver, connect to US 25 and drive south to the intersection and connect to US 285. From, there, pass the intersection for US 470 and head to the town of Morrison. Make your first left or drive into the neighbor hood on the left and approach the mountain from its backside.

Red Tape

Any route that you take, you will be in Mount Glennon Open Space, which prohibits pets and bushwhacking along with walking off route. The area is protected for Red Rocks Park and Jefferson County so please read up on further regulations applying to the area.

Camping

 
Denver, CO from summit of Mount Glennon
Denver, CO


Camping is prohibited any where near Red Rocks Park and Mount Glennon Open Space. There are many hotels in Littleton and many camping options in Bear Creek Park or Chatfield State Park.

External Links

http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Climbers.php?Id=6308

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Jeremy Hakes

Jeremy Hakes - Jan 8, 2011 3:55 pm - Voted 8/10

JCOS Regulations

FYI, JCOS permits dogs, as long as they are leashed 100%. That said, this is not a very good park for dogs. Also, it is not against JCOS regs to "bushwhack" or be off-trail; they don't encourage it, but it is within regulations. Lastly, the north end of this peak is a bouldering area in progress - The Black Hole: http://mountainproject.com/v/colorado/morrisonevergreen/morrison_boulders/105745151

Viewing: 1-1 of 1



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.