Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.12186°N / 118.9497°W
Additional Information County: Ventura
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3010 ft / 917 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Tri-peaks is a gigantic pile of huge rocks but basically there are three large boulders, surveying everything in sight - from Thousand Oaks, Camarillo and beyond to the Channel Islands and Malibu. They're pretty close together, and their porous surface makes for great climbing.

There are a number of caves and crevasses between them, many large enough to enter and explore. There are also spectacular views into the valleys and canyons to the west. The trail is a short spur off the Mishe Mokwa where is meets the Back bone trail. Tri-peaks is an area well worth visiting to see the caves and other rock formation

There are two forks of the Tripeaks Trail that meet the Chamberlain Trail (Back Bone trail). Both forks are extremely rocky but not overly steep. The eastern fork provides the shortest path from Circle X Ranch, but is somewhat overgrown with plenty of Spanish Bayonets. The southern fork is much wider. The Tri-Peaks Trail was significantly more rugged and overgrown than the Mishe Mokwa or Backbone Trails. Whereas most of the trail up to this point is fairly wide, mostly level footpaths, this was overgrown, washed out, and in need of a bit of maintenance.

If you look a bit southwest of the face, you'll see a small steel pole sticking up out of the mountain. It's a USGS marker, and the way to the proper trail. A little scrambling later, and you'll be face to face with the Tri-Peaks. The trail climbs up to base of the summit block on the south western side.

The summit of Tri-peaks about 400 yards east of the junction of the southern and eastern forks. There are places where it may be a little hard to follow on the bare rock, but it travels around the peak counterclockwise, mostly against a rock face, often steep down and a little loose.

Getting there

From the Circle X Ranch ranger station (the closest bathroom to the trailhead), drive up Yerba Buena Road another mile and turn left into the Sandstone Peak trailhead parking lot.


Milage from the Sandstone trail head

The most direct way to Tri-Peaks is to follow the Backbone trail past Sandstone Peak continue past Inspiration point and follow the spur trail that leads directly to the Tri-Peaks about 3 miles total one way.

A map of the area

From the Sandstone Peak Trail head follow the signs to Sandstone Peak.


0.3 miles Meet with the Backbone trail.
1.3 miles Use trail going up to Sandstone Peak
1.4 miles Official Sandstone Peak trail with steps.
2.2 miles Inspiration Point spur trail.
2.5 miles Mishe Mokwa trail junction
2.51 miles Eastern spur trail to Tri Peaks
2.8 miles South spur junction
2.9 miles Start of the scramble many use trails lead up to the shoulder
3.0 miles Base of the summit block

To gain the summit proper it is necessary to do some class 3 or slightly harder climbing. Circle around the main block counter clock wise, working your way down until you can get between the two main blocks. Going between the block leads to a not so steep outside corner that has many great holds and leads directly to the top.
To the topgo in here
Summit blockup this cornor
Looking downLooking down from the top






Red Tape

No permits are required

External Links

Tripeaks Trail in Boney Mountain Wilderness, Point Mugu State Park

The Mishe Mokwa Trail trail to Tri-Peaks

From Wendy Drive

Satwiwa to Tri Peaks








Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
tarol

tarol - Feb 19, 2010 12:59 am - Hasn't voted

Trail Map

Here's a nice simple map of the area

SkydiveKen

SkydiveKen - Feb 19, 2010 1:57 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Trail Map

Thanks I added the link to the main body. still need to add a getting there section from Wendy drive too

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Point Mugu State ParkMountains & Rocks
 
Santa Monica MountainsMountains & Rocks
 
Circle X RanchMountains & Rocks