Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.46263°N / 120.95286°W
Additional Information County: Kittitas & Chelan
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7382 ft / 2250 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Fortune Peak is the southern most high point on the ridge which includes North, East, and South Ingalls Peaks. To the east is Ingalls Pass. Northeast is Headlight Basin and Ingalls Lake. Also to the northeast is the dominant peak in the area, Mt. Stuart. To the west is Lake Ann. South are Esmerelda Peaks. The gently rounded summit is at an elevation of 7382'.

I'm not aware of the origin of the name of the peak. When I first hiked in the area, there were still remains of the old mining settlement of Esmerelda. The trail has since been rerouted away from this spot. There are also still mining claims along the upper NF Teanaway River. Perhaps that was the "Fortune" alluded to.

Fortune Peak From Iron Peak
Mt. Stuart

Getting There

From Interstate 90 take exit 85 to Highway 970. After about 5 miles cross the Teanaway River and turn left on the Teanaway Road. Continue 13 miles to the end of pavement just after 29 Pines Campground. Take the right fork. Continue straight to the end of the road in roughly 10 miles. The trailhead elevation is 4243'.

Fortune From Esmerelda


Routes

Fortune can be scrambled from numerous directions. The most obvious route is to hike up the Esmerelda Basin Trail to the junction with the trail to Lake Ann. Turn right towards Ann and hike up to the saddle. From there a climbers boot path follows the ridge to the summit. The entire south face can be climbed or skied when there is snow. One can leave the Ingalls Way Trail before Ingalls Pass and scramble to the summit. From the north side of Ingalls Pass in Headlight Basin one can hike just east of the summit and scramble straight up to the ridge and on to the summit. Fortune is often combined with South Ingalls Peak as a one day scramble. On or below the east side of the ridge between the peaks works.

Fortune s West Ridge

When To Climb

The road to the trailhead is usually snow free by early June. Snow returns in November or December.

Fortune Without Snow

Red Tape

A Northwest Forest Pass is required to park at the trailhead. They are $30/year or $5.00/day. Free self service Alpine Wilderness permits are available at the trailhead. The Wilderness boundary goes through the summit of Fortune Peak and Ingalls Pass so you do enter the edge of the wilderness.

Fortune & Ingalls

Camping

There is plenty of car camping in the Teanaway Valley with campgrounds at 29 Pines, Beverly Creek, and DeRoux Creek plus many smaller spots along the river. If backpacking, there are a number of campsites north of Ingalls Pass in Headlight Basin. There are also campsites along the Esmerelda trail and at Lake Ann.

Larch Trees

External Links

Cle Elum Cam (Aimed north at Mt. Stuart)

Cle Elum Ranger Station
West 2nd Street
Cle Elum, Wa 98922
(509) 674-4411

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
gimpilator

gimpilator - Nov 5, 2010 11:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Lat / Lon

Your coordinates are a bit off. May I suggest: 47.462804 and -120.953167

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.