Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.47568°N / 118.75354°W
Additional Information County: Mono
Activities Activities: Hiking, Aid Climbing, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 11962 ft / 3646 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Patricia Peak southwest pano Mt. Morgan (S) and Pointless Peak (center) from Patricia Peak south summit
"Patricia Peak" (unnamed on topo) is the northern most peak on the west side of the Rock Creek drainage out of Little Lakes Valley. It is 1 mile north of "Pointless Peak" and 1.5 miles north of the Sierra crest which takes a turn to the northwest. The Hilton Creek Lakes are nestled below the west and northwest slopes and Patricia Lake is tucked into a cirque below the south slope next to the steep north face of Pointless Peak.
It is class 3 from Hilton Creek Lakes, class 2 from the southeast and has some class 5, 1 to 2 rope pitches on the "Patricia Spires" on the southeast side of the south summit. The north summit is the high point.

Getting There

Boundary Peak, left, White Mountains from Patricia PeakBoundary Peak, back left and White Mtns. from Patricia Peak
From the junction of Hwy. 120 and Hwy. 395 go south 43 miles to Tom's Place. From the junction of Hwy 203 at Mammoth Lakes go 14.5 miles south on 395 to Tom's Place. From Bishop go north 23.5 miles from the junction of Hwy. 6 on 395 to Tom's Place. From Tom's Place go southeast on the Rock Creek Road 7.5 miles up into the Rock Creek canyon to a switchback stock trail on the right (west side) across from the Pine Grove Campground. Hike up the switchbacks about .7 mile to the Hilton Creek Trail junction.
This junction is also approachable from Rock Creek Lake: Take the Rock Creek Road 9.2 miles from Tom's Place to Rock Creek Lake. Take the fork to the right on the upper road .35 miles to the trail and take the trail north along the west side of the canyon about 1.2 miles to said junction.
SOUTHEAST SLOPE Class 2: At the same junction break trail and go straight west .5 miles up over moraines and boulders to the foot of the southeast slope. Hike up the slope .8 miles to the summit area. The south summit (11,950') is an easy walk up a quarter mile to the left and the the main summit the same to the right.
NORTHWEST RIDGE Class 3: From the same trail junction take the Hilton Creek Trail 2.5 miles north then west over a pass to another trail junction going north down by Hilton Creek Lakes. Go left at this junction and head south up switchbacks .8 miles past the first lake on the left and take the northwest ridge to the north summit.

The class 5 climbing routes on the south side of the south summit are most easily approached from the southeast slope area.
E-TICKET.I, 5.10b. First ascent 1989 by Richard Leversee, Todd Vogel and Pat Kent.
TEMPLE DEL SOL. II, 5.12. First ascent 1989 by Pat Kent, Todd Vogel and Richard Leversee.
DIAMOND STAR TOWER.I, 5.10. First ascent 1989 by Todd Vogel, Pat Kent and Richard Leversee.
Descriptions of these routes can be found in The High Sierra Peaks, Passes and Trails by R.J. Secor, The Mountaineers

Red Tape

Wheeler Peak from Hilton Creek TrailWheeler Peak from Hilton Creek Trail
Patricia Peak can be done as a day hike which requires no permits. For overnight camping in the Hilton Creek Lakes area permits can be obtained at:

Mammoth Ranger Station and Visitor Center, 760-924-5500, 2510 Hwy 203, Box 148 Mammoth Lakes, Ca. 03546
White Mountain Ranger Station, 760-873-2500, 798 north Main St. Bishop Ca. 93514

Camping

Mt. Morgan from Patricia PeakMt. Morgan from Patricia Peak
These campgrounds are all in succession further up the Rock Creek Road.
LOWER ROCK CREEK, 7,300', .3 miles on the Rock Creek Road from Tom's Place then right .2 miles
ASPEN, 8,300, at 3.7 miles
IRIS MEADOW, 8,400' at 4 miles
BIG MEADOW, 8,500 at 4.5 miles
PALISADE, 8,900' at 5.8 miles
EAST FORK, 8,970 at 5.9 miles then go left .7 miles
PINE GROVE, 9.300' at 7.4 miles
There are several campgrounds around ROCK CREEK LAKE ,at 9,700' at 8.6 miles.
MESQUITO FLAT, at 10,100' at 10.5 miles

Current Weather forecast

National Weather forecast for the Rock Creek area click here

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2

BranchWhitney - Aug 29, 2010 2:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Distance to the North Ridge

My GPS clocked it at four miles to the North Ridge from the trailhead. You simply follow the trail four miles to the obvious north ridge and start to scramble.

Noondueler

Noondueler - Aug 29, 2010 2:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Distance to the North Ridge

From what trailhead are you referring to? I'll add it to the page once I understand the route.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2