Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.80722°N / 74.58927°W
Additional Information County: Burlington
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 205 ft / 62 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Apple Pie Hill

Apple Pie Hill is a small cuesta or hill in Burlington County, New Jersey. It is one of a series of small cuestas or hills that form a loose chain across the New Jersey Pine Barrens. This one is unique in that is has a fire tower on it and it is accessible by car. Summit elevation is 205 feet, and the tower adds some 60 feet.

Access

To access this hill, take 532 west from Chatsworth, NJ, until you see the Bordentown Hunting Lodge on the south side of the road (about 5 miles west of Chatsworth). Take the sand road that leaves from near the rear of the lodge and head southeast. Don't accidentally take the road that goes southwest, or you will end up near Carranza Memorial. After 2 miles or so you will come to a junction with another road in a large sandy area. Go north-east and the road starts to climb to a junction with a graded dirt road. Take this dirt road to the right, and it takes you to the summit of Apple Pie Hill.

The View Across Jersey

On a reasonably clear day you can fairly easily identify the towers of Philadelphia and Atlantic city; they look a bit squat on the horizon as a few of the lower floors have sun k beneath the horizon. Mt. Holly is also identifiable to the north of Philiadelphia. In between it appears that South Jersey is covered in it's entirety with pine barrens.

Red Tape

No alcohol is allowed on New Jersey State lands, so don't drink openly here.

Camping

You must camp in developed camping areas for a fee in New Jersey. No dispersed camping allowed.

Batona Trail

The Batona Trail crosses over the hill. It uses pink blazes to mark its route. Look for these blazes on 532 near a small collection of houses 2 miles east of the Bordentown lodge if you want to hike 3 miles to the summit. You can also hike from High crossing and Carranza Memorial on Carranza Road in Tabernacle, NJ. The trail from High Crossing goes past the Batona Camping site, if you want to camp and hike the hill.