Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.22030°N / 123.4612°W
Additional Information County: Josephine
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 5545 ft / 1690 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Kerby Peak
Kerby Peak









Kerby Peak is ranked #95 on the Oregon Prominence List with 1,872 ft of prominence and is located in southwest Oregon in the Siskiyou Mountains. It is south of Grants Pass, east of Selma, and west of Applegate. There are great views from the summit of Kerby Peak to Mt McLoughlinand Grayback Mountain to the east, the Oregon Caves National Monument and the Siskiyou Wilderness to the south, and the Kalmiopsis Wilderness to the west.

The flanks of Kerby Peak are covered with old growth forests. There is a stand of Brewers spruce near the summit that is quite rare. This tree only grows in southwest Oregon and northwest California at higher elevations. It is worthwhile to hike this peak just to say you have seen the famous Brewers spruce.

At one time there was a fire lookout on the summit of Kerby Peak, but it burned down in 1959. There are a few remnants of the structure on the summit.

For details on the hiking trail see the Route information.

Getting There

Kerby Peak

There are two ways to get the trailhead for Kerby Peak. One is from the small town of Selma on Highway 199 and the other is from the small town of Williams in the Applegate Valley. Access from Williams is somewhat complicated and requires passage over a high pass on a one lane road. The road is paved, but it is slow going.

From Grants Pass head south on Highway 199 to the small town of Selma. At the main intersection near the market where there is a flashing yellow light, turn left on Deer Creek Road. Follow Deer Creek Road for several miles (7-8) eastward until you reach White Creek Road and then turn right. There is a sign on the corner indicating the Kerby Peak Trail is to the right. Follow the paved White Creek Road for about ½ mile to a road with another Kerby Peak Trail sign on the left. Turn left on this nice gravel road and follow it about 3 miles to the trailhead that is marked with another Kerby Peak Trail sign. There is parking for at least 5 vehicles near the trailhead.

Red Tape

Kerby Peak
Kerby Peak
Kerby Peak

No red tape, no northwest forest pass required, no fires permitted.

Camping

Kerby Peak

The main place to camp nearby is at Lake Selmac. Other forest service campgrounds are more remote and are listed on the Siskiyou National Forest website under the Wild Rivers Ranger District.

There are lots of places to backpack camp in the area. Your only limitation here is probably your imagination. There are even bivy sites on the summit if you want to do that, but this hike can easily be done in a half day.

Mountain Conditions

Kerby Peak

The mountain is not accessible in the Winter and Spring. During the Summer and Fall, the area is subject to thunderstorms and you should check the weather forecast before hiking. The closest town is Selma, but has little more than a market.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Siskiyou MountainsMountains & Rocks