Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.22325°N / 0.35131°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5951 ft / 1814 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

West summit

Penyagolosa (1.813m) is the highest summit of province of Castellón / Castelló, at East of Spain, and it's the second highest summit of Comunitat Valencià, after Cerro Calderón (1.850m). It's one of the most interesting peak in the area because its North face is nice, even it have a few of routes of rock-climb. The normal route is a short and nice walk-up from the hermitage of Sant Joan (San Juan) de Penyagolosa. It exists another option a little bit longer from the village of Villahermosa de Arriba, but it's less frequented.

Penyagolosa is in the area called Maestrazgo. The Maestrazgo is an area between the provinces of Teruel and Castellón with very wide extension and little ranges. The ranges are not very high, neither spectacular, but the landscape is different and interesting.

Getting There

Sant Joan de PenyagolosaSant Joan
Penyagolosa

The park of Penyagolosa is located in Castelló and it's easy to reach the two main cities around Maestrazgo, Teruel or Castellón.

In Castellón you must take A7-CV10 in direction Barcelona until La Pobla Tornesa. We get CV-15 to Vall d'Alba and CV-170 until Villahermosa del Maestrat. Following about 500 meters you can find the signals to Natural Prak of Penyagolosa (ib brown color) turning to left to reach the hermitage of Sant Joan de Penyagolosa (1.250m).

Route Castellón-Sant Joan de Penyagolosa (viamichelin)

Red Tape

Information of the path
Signal of the park

Map

All the area around the peak is in the Natural Reserve of Penyagolosa with rules about the wildlife. The camping it's not allowed.

Camping

The camping is not allowed in the natural park.

-Albergue de Penyagolosa (1.250m)
It’s not very necessary to spend the night the previous day in the refuge because the normal climb is short and the distance to the main cities is less than 2h but you can sleep in this nice place just under the peak. In Vistabella del Maestrazgo, the nearby village, you don’t have generally posibilities to spend the night.

-A lot of lodges, hotels and camping around the main cities as Castellón (81km) . It’s a good idea on summer to get a hotel near of the beaches of Castellón to relax after the peak.

-Another option is to visit some of the villages of Maestrazgo as Morella (102km) with an interesting castle and a few of hotels.

-A few of the small villages of Maestrazgo have rural houses. You can write “casas rurales maestrazgo” in google with a lot of references as casasrurales.com


External Links

Parque Natural de Penyagolosa

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.