Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 32.95893°N / 116.97753°W
Additional Information County: San Diego
Activities Activities: Hiking, Bouldering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1728 ft / 527 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Goat Peak is a mountain peak within the Peninsular Mountain Range of South California. It is located in the outskirts of the city of Poway, right next to the Scripps Poway Parkway and Highway 67 junction, in San Diego county. It appears as a bulky rock horn piercing out from the ground at 1,728 feet above sea level. The mountain is surrounded by local famous mountains such as Mount Woodson and Iron Mountain. It features a chapparal ecosystem and is covered with large boulders.

The views from the summit include the cities of Poway, Scripps Ranch, Rancho Bernardo, Lakeside, Ramona, and various others. It also offers views of Sycamore Canyon Park, Mission Trails Regional Park, Louis A. Stelzer Park, Mount Woodson and the nearby mountains, Lake Hodges mountains, San Pasqual mountains, Poway mountains, and more.

Getting There

As previously mentioned, the mountain is located at the T-intersection of Scripps Poway Parkway and Highway 67. From I-15, get off the Scripps Poway Parkway exit and head East. Continue going east until the end of the road where it meets Highway 67. After making a left turn on the 67, Goat Peak can be seen directly to the left.

My Route

Goat Peak

Even though there is more than one way to reach it, the route featured on here is the one I opted for at the time. I decided to start my trek at the eastern edge of the Poway Sportspark, next to the First American Credco building, off of Danielson Street. I parked in the parking lot and ensured that it was legal to do so before venturing out. From that point, I hiked up next to the white water tower and proceeded to follow a trail north, then east from there. There are many trails in this area, so be mindful not to get lost. An easy way to go about it is to follow any trail that leads to the east. I had to switch trails a few times and had to be careful not to enter the private propriety area near Sycamore Canyon Road. I kept following the trails through the hills and had to get off the trail and bushwack a little bit at times, even though there really were no bush to wack.

At the end of a paved road linked to Sycamore Canyon Road, a distinct dirt trail expands to the east. I decided to follow that trail as it basically went straight to my destination from there. Near the peak, the trail heads to the north, however it is possible to follow a ravine to the east that eventually connects to another dirt road, which had obviously been used by bikers, as seen from the tire tracks. This dirt trail leads to the bottom of the rock cluster of the mountain. Minor scrambling and climbing is required to reach the summit.

As preciously mentioned, there are definitely other ways to get to this mountain. Please feel free to add any known route to this page. Your contributions are appreciated!

Red Tape

No fee or permit is required to hike to this mountain, however please be mindful that some of the land in this area is private propriety. Do not enter any restricted areas or go beyond any fences present in the area. Thank you.

Weather

Poway Weather Forecast

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Dec 11, 2009 2:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Corrected elevation

The peak is listed as 1,728ft on the USGS topo.

Sigouin - Dec 11, 2009 7:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanks!

Hey I appreciate that. It said differently on another website, but USGS is definitely a trustworthy reference.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2